December 21, 2012

A Prayer Offering for Sandy Hook: “God, You alone are the answer.”

Heavenly Father,

Our hearts are broken.  We don’t know how to pray.  The loss too tragic.  The crime too evil.  The ache too big.  Father, how can mommies and daddies bury their precious little children? How can teachers and administrators recover from the carnage and horror they witnessed in the safe haven of their own school. How can hearts ripped apart like this ever be repaired?

We know it is only through You, Lord.

You alone are the answer.

But how do we pray?

You say, “come boldly before My throne of grace to receive mercy and find grace in your time of need,” so we do that today.  We kneel before You, our Lord and Maker.  We bring our aching, broken, angry, hurting hearts.  We want to feel You.  We want to know that You are near.  We need Your presence…Your Hope…Your healing.

You alone are the answer.

We know that Your ears are open to our prayers because You call us to come to You.  You promise that when we seek You, we will find You when we seek You with all our hearts. (Jeremiah 29:13) We call upon You today and in the days to come to rescue this community from the battle waging war against it..sadness, despair, hopelessness, anger, bitterness, and confusion.

You alone are the answer.

There are no books, no manuals, and no medication that can repair the brutality that has taken place there.

You alone are the answer.

Your Word says when the righteous cry out, You hear them and deliver them from all their troubles.  Father, Your Word says You are close to the brokenhearted and the crushed in spirit. (Psalm 34:17-18).  You tell us to cast our cares upon You, and You will sustain us. (Psalm 55:22).  Abba Father, move swiftly into the hearts and homes of the Sandy Hook Community.  Bring Your Peace, the Peace that passes all understanding and may every person sense Your Peace from the top of their head to the tips of their toes and everywhere in between.

You alone are the answer.

Your Word says, “Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted.”   God of all Comfort pour out Your Comfort in all its fullness.  Shower Your mercy and grace into every aching heart.  Fill every crevice.

Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Engel, Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene

Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprungk, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis

James Mattiol, Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi

Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt

You alone are the answer.

Father, You know every tear that falls.  You know every sleepless night.   Your Word says that each tear is entered in Your ledger and every heartache in Your book. (Psalm 56:8, Message)  Hold each heart so close, Lord.  Anchor each foot solidly in Your Hope.  Thank You that You will not lose a single heart to the schemes and lies of the evil one.

You alone are the answer.

Work mightily through the prayers of Your people praying across the world. You are our Shield and our Defender.  Our Refuge in times of trouble.  We ask that You place a wall of angels around Sandy Hook, just as you did for Elisha. (2 Kings 6:17).  Enable each person to sense the presence of Your angelic army and take refuge in it.  Guard every heart and home.  Guard every mind. May these angels fight valiantly for this community so that not a single heart will be taken from Your Kingdom and many will be won.

You alone are the answer.

Thank You that this battle will be won, not by might and not by power but by Your Spirit!!  Thank You that every family in this community can OVERCOME by the blood of the Lamb, the Name of Jesus and the Word of God!!  Thank You for Your promise that You work ALL things for good for those who love You and have been called according to Your purpose.  (Romans 8:28) Thank You that NOTHING will separate this community from the Your Love. (Romans 8:38-39) Not trouble, hardship, danger, sword or gun will EVER EVER separate them from Your Love.  And, in fact, Your Word says that in ALL these things they will be conquerors. (Romans 8:35)

Thank You that every one of these families and this community will be more than conquerors.  You will ensure that great things come from the evil that has been perpetrated.  Fruit will blossom. Beautiful, eternal works will be done because what man meant for evil, God intended for good. (Genesis 50:20)

We recognize that You alone are the answer so we ask all this in the powerful and effective Name of Jesus Christ our Lord.  AMEN!

I invite you to leave a prayer today. Jesus said where two are more are gathered in His name, He is there with them.  So He is here with us.  And He says whatever we ask in His Name, He will do it!  May He take our prayers and do a mighty healing work that will bring glory and honor and praise to His Name, the Name above all names.

Comments

1. Dear sweet Wendy thank you. This prayer you prayed today is so what I needed. Thank you for the powerful words. All I can add is Amen & Amen!!

Blessings & Peace
    MaryG

2. Oh Abba,
    I literally cannot comprehend this tragedy… each of those precious individuals has family and friends who were thinking of the perfect Christmas gift for them… each child had parents who were hanging stockings with their names… each one has a huge circle of friends and family who are mourning like never before. I know that You are one of the mourners. Jesus, You wept with Mary and Martha when Lazarus was in the tomb. You are with e-v-e-r-y one who is aching and You are holding them tight.

Jesus said in John 12:24 “I tell you the truth, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.” Abba, we are believing that You will produce many seeds of saved souls through this unfathomable loss. You have placed eternity in all of our hearts (Ecclesiastes 3:11). We trust that all who are hurting will seek You, find You and have an intimate, soul-saving relationship with You Lord through Jesus.

Thank You Lord for the revival that will start in Connecticut and spread throughout the world! We pray this in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

Thank you Wendy. I am standing on every word of your prayer. I love you.

3. Catherine Shepard says:

Amen!
    It just makes me so sad.

4. I stand in agreement with every beautiful, powerful word.

Come quickly Lord Jesus…we may never fully understand Your will, but we trust in Your perfect plan for all Your children. We love You Lord, help us to cling to You especially when everything seems to be falling apart. Amen.

5. Dear Father God,

Words cannot express the depths of the sadness in our hearts created at the hand of one man.
    Our hearts ache for these precious children, their teachers, and families.
    Please comfort all who are affected by this tragedy. Please help our leaders and our communities to come together to find a way to prevent this tragedy from ever happening again.
    Please help us all to heal our broken hearts.

In His Holy name we pray. Amen

6. Father God,

Thank you for the gift of prayer. Thank you that we can come boldly before your throne and pour our hearts out to you. Thank you that you take our stuttered, mixed up words and throw away the useless ones and transform them into sacrifices of praise for your ears. Thank you for the Holy Spirit that serves as our translator. I thank you for the words that you have given Wendy to share not only with you but also with each reader of this page.

I thank you for your peace, your comfort, your love, your grace, your mercy, your compassion. Fill each family to overflowing with yourself. Cause them to lean into you with their questions, with their whys, with their understanding. Cause them to run into your arms first and foremost. Protect their hearts from the evil one. Use this in their lives to draw them closer to your heart. Honor and glorify yourself in and through these families including the family of the young man who so violently took these lives. Wrap them tight, hold them close and fill them with your presence.

I pray these words in Ephesians over each and every person whose heart and life was touched by this incident. “For this reason I kneel before the Father, from whom every family[a] in heaven and on earth derives its name. I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen.

7. Thank you for this healing prayer that I added to my solemn time this morning. I just prayed it along with my own. It felt good to pray and be connected to so many at this difficult time. Thank you

8. Beautifully, beautifully written! Thank you so much for writing this!

• Hope Zubidat says:

Dear Father God, Thank You for letting our Prayers reach across the world and bring Comfort to so many Hurting Hearts. I Pray they feel the healing presence of your sweet Spirit with in their Hearts and Mind. I Pray they will draw Strength from the Prayers here, they are very Profound, your words will not come back void. I Pray they will draw Strength from Your written Word and from each other. God Bless You all, Hope

9. Please, please, please work this out for your good Heavenly Father. Let your love and truth embrace us all.

10. Kathie Waters says:

I also say a heartfelt “AMEN” but would like to add that we also should be praying for Adam Lanza. Yes he caused this tragedy, but Jesus said to pray for our enemies. And something had to have happened in Adam’s life to make him do this. Absolutely does NOT excuse his actions, but we must remember his human-ness too or we make him and those like him into monsters unworthy of compassion.

• I agree. In fact I have written two blog posts on this very thing. :) Let us not forget the Lanza Family.

• Melinda Albarado says:

You are so right! And let us not forget Adam’s mother – the media has “forgotten” that she, too, was a victim of this tragedy!
      Wendy, thank you for this beautiful and powerful prayer – you truly have a heart for prayer!

11. I am in agreement. May grace, peace and the comforting power of God bring healing to the community and the world. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

12. This song makes me cry everytime I think of the families hurting. God bless you and comfort you. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwmaehOBzsQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player Song is called He weeps by fireflight.

• Thank you for sharing this song and another great new group for me! Find Your Comfort in Him, Marie and cling to Him and His Word!

• Thank you for sharing this song. I pray eyes will be fixed UP to Jesus, our Prince of Peace instead of the circumstances. When we look at HIM, we find peace, grace, mercy, strength, hope, and every other need. My heart had wept for all affected by Sandy Hook and I took comfort in knowing God was there and Jesus wept too and the Holy Spirit is at work among the people. May I and other Christians be a light to the world ~ sharing Jesus, hope, peace, love, and be there for those who mourn, who are lonely, who are needy, etc.

13. Amen! Agreed. Peace.

14. Amen! amen! amen!

Silence in honor of these precious souls and their families. Praying and standing in agreement with such a beautifully written expression of our hearts so powerfully conveyed by Wendy! Thank you so much Wendy for being a voice in the pain by the power of the Holy Spirit! Thank you for the direction this day in how to pray when our heart are overwhelmed – how much more for those intimately involved and connected! May our hearts be united with theirs and may we keep them in remembrance! Come Holy Spirit, Counselor, Comforter, Prince of Peace be magnified and glorified! Wrap Your loving arms around all the aching hearts, hear our cries, and grant us Your mercy and grace in Jesus’ name!

15. I bow my head in prayer and send these families strength, peace, calm, and grace is this challenging time. The pain will ease, the ache may remain but it will all be done by God’s hand. Bless you.

16. Standing in agreement, Lord. Thank you that your mercies are new every morning and that you heal the brokenhearted. In Jesus’ name, Amen

17. your prayer was perfect Wendy. God please help us all heal. Amen.

18. Lord God, Cover them with your peace, with your comfort. Heal their broken hearts and take away fear. You are good. In Jesus’s name, Amen

19. KAY PARRISH says:

FATHER GOD IN JESUS NAME I AGREE WITH WENDY’S PRAYER. I ASK THAT YOU TAKE THE SADNESS FROM THIS COMMUNITY AND REPLACE WE WITH YOUR LOVE. THANK YOU FOR TAKING CARE OF EACH AND EVERY FAMILY IN JESUS NAME AMEN

20. Marcia Hubbs says:

I love the tribute of prayer for the families. May God work wonderous healing through the prayers of His people!!! I believe it would bring much Glory to God if we don’t forget the Lanza family. They are suffering loss also and obviously need the power of healing from the only God that can give that to them!

21. What a beautiful prayer. I saw this verse and thought of those affected by this horrific event: “I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow-not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.”
    Romans 8:38 NLT
    My prayers are with them daily. Father God, I ask you bring peace to all, please wrap your loving arms around each and everyone of them and through this darkness when we can see no light we can have faith in knowing you WILL bring good. In Jesus name Amen.

• ohhh AMEN!

Yes Jennifer! HIS LIGHT in such darkness; HIS JOY where sadness and despair lay ; HIS PEACE where there is such aching; HIS LOVE when we feel so empty and heart sick; HIS GOODness when evil abounds; OUR FAITH united together in what we cannot see but must believe the unseen and that HE REIGNS in Truth and Glory

22. jane kanja says:

I agree with Wendy and all the others as we pray for peace in the minds of the affected family and friends,we in Kenya share the grief and sorrow. I can only add and echo what the psamist said ‘that even when am afraid i will trust in you Lord.

23. praying that God of all comfort will bind up the brokenhearted and heal their hurts. That His presence will be felt among all those hurting and suffering loss. Praying that we, as a country, will never forget the sadness felt now and that we will continue to look to Him for guidance to avoid something like this in the future. There are no words that can be given to these families to relieve their comfort. Only the Spirity of the Loving, Healing God can do that. God bless every single person involved.

24. I thank you all, for the gift of your comforting words and the example of praying in Gods word. I thank you for allowing the Holy Spirit to work through you, not only for the benifit of those living in the midst of this tragedy, but for those of us witnessing this from the outside. Blessing to you all.

25. This powerful and amazing prayer, a cry out to our Abba, overwhelms me. It is such an intense and impassioned prayer the likes I have never read/heard before. Thank you so much for this prayer and the conviction, hope, and triumph over evil in this world that this prayer conveys. With this prayer, I believe you have taught me how to truly pray to our Father with my whole heart.
    Thank you sister and God bless.

26. Amen, Wendy! Thank you for your heartfelt prayer. I am also reminded of God interceding for us in our weakness when we may be just so overwhelmed and just don’t know what to pray. God will make good come out of this tragedy and that offers hope to all. May the peace, comfort and strength of Jesus be with all.

27. Amen Wendy!

Dear Heavenly Father,
    Lord we know you have a purpose for trials and Father we trust You have a plan for the pain many are experiencing…help us hold onto that promise during this difficult time. Father I lift up all of those who have personally been impacted by this tragedy…may You draw them to Yourself, make Yourself real and fill them with a peace that only You can provide. And Lord may this be a reminder to all of us that You are in control, help us love our loved ones and be a light for You as no one knows the time You will return or the day our loved ones will be taken from us. As Christmas approaches may our eyes be on You and what you did – the humble beginning of your story and the powerful ending of it as well. Thank you Father that we can come to You and cling to You when days are dark and pain is real. Fill us with Your spirit so that we can stand and share you with a world that’s hurting and needs your comfort, love and strength. In the precious and powerful name of Jesus…Amen

28. Amen, Wendy.
    Dear Heavenly Father,
    Thank you for sending your own dear Son to earth to save us from our sins so that we could live in heaven with you. You comfort us in all our afflictions so that we may comfort others because of the comfort we have received. We pray for all those affected in Newtown. Please be with each and every person and renew the spirits of all the people in the nation that we may do what is right in your eyes so that we come to the Light of the world. As we love one another as Christ has loved us, let the world see and come to You, Lord.
    In Jesus name we pray,
    Amen.

29. My heart is so moved by the beautiful prayers left the past few days. Thank you for stopping by to share your prayers. Praying God does a mighty work in and through these prayers for the Sandy Hook and the lives of every family touched by this tragedy!!

Sweet blessings to you,

30. Katja Boehme says:

Dear Heavenly Father: The one solace in this is that all these beautiful angels are now in your Kingdom and you are keeping watch over them. Please bring peace to the families that are not understanding why this has happened and bring comfort to them in the hard days ahead. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me;
    your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

31. Dear Lord: You never promised a world without trouble, but instead you said ” In this world you will have trials, but take heart..I have overcome the world.” Although evil may win for a season, in the end you will win the final battle. We know how this all ends and we are looking forward to your coming, but in the meantime, please let your presence permeate the lives of those in Newtown, Ct. Lord, they need you so much for comfort, peace and the hard and long days ahead. Christmas will be so hard for them this year, but because of you, may they experience the hope of brighter days ahead, help them Lord to hang on to you and draw closer to you through all of this. Help them to know that you are close to the brokenhearted and understand their heartache and pain. Amen.