March 22, 2013

Announcing Wendy’s New On-Line Study

First, I want to  welcome  all my Encouragement for Today friends joining us from my P31 Devotion.  I am so excited that you stopped by. One of my passions is encouraging women to spend time alone with Jesus…to sit at His feet …to dig into His Word…to grow deeper in prayer.  God has laid a new study on my heart that will equip us to do these very things.

Today I am announcing that new study.  Just so you know, announcing new studies is one of my favorite parts of being a Bible teacher.  So that makes today one of my favorite days!

Our new on-line study will begin May 8th and run for three weeks.  It is shorter than most of my studies, but it will be packed full of wonderful lessons gleaned from the lives of two of the most beloved women in the Bible….Mary and Martha.  We will follow the two sisters as they meet with Jesus on three separate occasions.  Of course, we will begin with the most well-known story of Mary and Martha where Jesus reprimands Martha for being “too busy.”  So before you leave the web site today, I would love for you to share with us whether you are a Mary or a Martha and why.

If you want to learn more about the study, please read the description below:

Quiet My Anxious Heart:  Learning to Sit at the Feet of Jesus

God longs for a personal intimate relationship with us. He waits patiently for us to come to Him.  But like Martha, often we are too busy. We spend our days attempting to be everything to everyone. In the busyness of life, we find it hard to hear God’s voice or even know if He is speaking at all. Join Wendy and discover how to choose what is “better” – receiving the unspeakable joy and peace that comes from sitting at the feet of Jesus. In this three week study Wendy will  …

• share practical tools on how to have an effective daily quiet time with God.
  • teach you how to read God’s Word in a way that will make it applicable to your every day life.
  • impart principles that will renew your mind with God’s Truths
  • leave you with a Thirty Day challenge to apply what you have learned.

I am so looking forward to meeting here with you each week to discover what God has to teach us through the lives of these two amazing women.

My devotional today talked about living a life “set apart” for God…having the courage to say “no” to everyone else and “yes” to God.  Friends, we will struggle making these choices if we do not KNOW the Word of God.  As you and I fill ourselves with the Word, it becomes a part of us.  God’s Word becomes integrated into every part of our lives.  And as that happens, making the hard choices becomes easier.  Choosing to live a life set apart becomes the desire of our heart and not a drudgery that we must do to receive God’s approval.  In this study, we will begin to fill ourselves little by little with some powerful truths…truths that will bring life transformation.

I have prayed for every woman God will bring to this study.  I hope you are one of those women!  To register simply visit the right side of my blog and click on “Sign up for Wendy’s On-Line studies.”  Place your e-mail address in the box and click “subscribe.”  Doing this registers you for this study and ensures you will receive invitations for all future studies.  If you have registered for an on-line study in the past, you do not need to re-register.

If you would like to receive the weekly posts for the on-line study in your inbox, visit the side of my blog again.  At the top of this sidebar, you will see ”Subscribe to Updates.”  Place your e-mail address in the box and click “Go.”  Each week you will receive an e-mail with the post for the week.  It is important to note that to view the video, you will need to visit the web site directly.  You may do so by clicking on the title of the post in the e-mail.

All registration information you share stays confidential.

And please share this study with your friends.  We have placed a button on the side of the blog that you can grab if you want to share this study on your blog.

Also, if you have not joined Wendy’s Street Team, we now have a link on the right side of the blog that says, “Join Wendy’s Street Team.”  This Team will be an important part in helping participate in and promote my new Bible study that will be published by Thomas Nelson in February 2012.  To learn more or to sign up, simply click where it says “Click Here.”  I will share lots more about the new Bible study in weeks and months to come!

****I also want to announce the winner of Suzie Eller’s new book, The Unburdened Heart:

Sandra who posted on March 12th at 5:43 pm

Congratulations, Sandra!  Please send me an e-mail with your full name and mailing address so Suzie can send you your book. ****

Thank you again for stopping by today.  Don’t forget to leave a comment today and share whether you are a Mary or a Martha and why.  I am so looking forward to hearing what you have to share!

Comments

1. Judy Redden says:

Good Morning Wendy,
    I am having to think about this. I am probably a combination of Mary and Martha. I do have my quiet time every morning but there are days that I feel like I am just reading and not listening. So I think I am a little of both. I can get distracted some days easier than others.
    I will look forward to your Bible Study.
    Have a blessed day
    Judy

2. I have just finished Let. It. Go. OBS with Melissa Taylor and an awesome leader in Beth Skinner Wright. This is perfect for me to expand on the principles I ahve learned thus far.
    Looking foward to the study!
    Lynda

• I have just finished Let. It. Go. OBS with Melissa Taylor and an awesome leader in Beth Skinner Wright. This is perfect for me to expand on the principles I ahve learned thus far.
      I need more time in His Word and struggle deeply to fit it into my day with focus.. It is either rushed or with distractions, etc… YES I am soooo Martha!
      Looking foward to the study!
      Lynda

3. tsitsidzashe says:

hie wendy
    for the past 2 weeks l was martha.l would say l was martha because l would be too busy with worthless things.l woud be abstracted with petty things but sometimes l would be mary

4. ProMom356 says:

I can’t wait, Wendy! I have had a long road with my Mary/Martha persona. For so long I was a true Martha, so busy. Then I got very involved with Bible Study and teaching when my children were young, and I was able to work towards being a Mary. I loved my time with the Lord every morning, and during the day preparing for my studies and teaching. Now that my children are older, I have gone back to work. While I try to use my teaching as serving the young students and filling them with what Jesus’ actions look like, I am not able to speak His Word unless asked (public school). During these past 2 years I have felt myself moving back to my Martha worries and habits. I can’t wait to use your study to woo myself back to being more of a Mary.

5. Good Morning Wendy & bible friends, I am a Martha type struggling to be more like Mary. I am always making sure everyone is happy and feels comfortable. I do this to the extent of me not enjoy the company of friends and family. I then become upset, angry, and hurt that others are not helping or care if I am overloaded. The power of saying no has set me free to enjoy more but the struggle still is there.
    I have set time in the morning for God. I so love that time early in the morning before the rest of the house wakes. It is so special. I am jealous of that time. LOL I don’t like it if my husband wakes early.
    Wendy I so look forward to this next study of yours.
    Blessings & Peace
    MaryG

6. I am absolutely a Martha. It affects my ability to sit down for quiet time and limits my availability to God and my family on a daily basis. I forever have this ridiculous to-do list, can never focus enough to make progress and just let it weigh me down and direct me regularly. So, yup, no need to comtemplate this one. I’m a major Martha! I’m considering doing your study. Thanks for your encouragements through Proverbs 31!

7. Hi Wendy,

In the past, I was always a Martha. I am a combination of people pleaser and servant heart and too often, the balance is swayed in an unhealthy way. The past few weeks have brought a trial I never thought I’d see in my life. God has been ever-present and given me His peace and I believe He is doing something amazing. While living in the midst of this hard time, I have become much more of a Mary. I have learned that the only reason I have a peace is from seeking Him and being in prayer often. I desire to learn more and trust Him more. This outcome thus far is just one of the ways I see that He is working through this trial.

- Kristin

8. Thank you Wendy for your devotional today, and for the bible study opportunity. I tend to be a Martha, but I am aware of it and try to curb it when it happens. I have just recently started to utilize the full scope of the P31 website, and am hoping to make that turn around very soon!

9. Thank you for the message this morning of belonging to God and sharing your story of how difficult it is/was at times telling your daughter “no” to participating in activities that may have been unsafe and that were just not Godly surroundings. We dealt with that so many times and heard the same arguments from our daughter. At that young, impressionable age they don’t understand the importance for the reasons we, as parents, choose to keep them safe and from questionable activities.

10. Thank You Wendy for giving us this opportunity. I am more of a Martha! I have my time in the morning set aside for God, but it seems like the rest of the day there is so much to do I forget about Him. :( I also have what my therapist calls “busy brain” so it’s very hard to concentrate like I need to be doing. I really hope this study will help me to become more like Mary. I’m really looking forward to this study! Thanks Again!

11. I guess I am, unfortunately, a Martha…I love to begin my day with quiet time w/the Lord but I often find my schedule over-riding this time.

12. TAMMY ECKLER says:

I long to be a Mary, but sad to say I’m a Martha. Life seems to consume me most of the time. I do however find myself daydreaming of sitting at the feet of Jesus or even in his lap with his loving arms around me. I was so excited to hear about this study…can hardly wait.

13. Oh how I am a Martha!! I definitely like to be active and feel quite guilting if I am just sitting around. I have been working on having a quiet time and that was going pretty well. However, I started back to college now that my children are in school and that adds a LOT to my day. And of course that is on top of my Bible Study, my kids, my husband, my home, my church etc. You get the picture. I think this study – which comes at a time when I am on break from both my Bible Study and my college course (what perfect timing!) – will help me tremendously!!

Blessings to you!!

14. I am more of a Martha. I do have a quiet time but the rest of the day I am constantly on the go. I want to become more of a Mary…..

15. Hi Wendy,
    I was very much a Martha. My innate nature is to do ..serve. But God has called me to be Mary. And I am enjoying being Mary. But want to dig deeper and draw much closer to Him.

16. TABITHA JONES says:

Hello Wendy,
    I have just finished the “Letting Go” bible study and I have always been a Martha wanting to be more like Mary. My life has just been so chaotic lately and I told my self during my Letting Go study that I would not do it again and it just seems to happen. I have 2 very active teenage boys and I try to keep involved in there lives, work, and be involved in the church communtiy and sometimes it gets overwhelming. I am looking forward to your study,.
    Tabitha

17. Amy Starnes says:

I would have to sadly say that I am a Martha. I do so much, much of the time without stopping to listen to God. I think Lisa said it best in her devotion the other day when she said, “I’m taking a break from having a quiet time. Because sometimes I can get in a rut. Even with good things. And having a daily quiet time is a good thing. Until it becomes more about routine than actually connecting with God”. Lately i ahve found myself trying to do my bible studies or devotions just so that I can check them off “the list”. But what I would love to be able to do is become a Mary. I just feel so guilty doing it, when i have in the past….I hope this bible study helps me find the balance….I’m sure it will. My best friend and I are doing the 14 Day Marriage Challenge by Tracie Mills and really trying to apply it to our marriages. Thanks to all of you who have been so faithful to what God is calling you to do for him. It helps more than you know!!!

18. Cecily Bornemann says:

I think I’m Martha because I spend too much time trying to be holy before God that I don’t spend much time at His feet. I wish it weren’t that way. I want to be more intentional about spending time with Jesus. It’s something I am working on.

Thanks Wendy.

19. I’m definitely a Martha too, but I’m sad that Martha always gets such a bad rap and is so looked down upon. Yes, Jesus definitely said that Mary had chosen what was better, and even though Martha had allowed herself to get out of balance, let’s not forget that she did have the heart of a servant, and in fact was serving the Lord at the time of her famous story. Jesus didn’t chastise her or condemn her (as most of us do today), He just invited her to share communion with Him in a way that was far deeper and more meaningful than “works”. Nobody ever has anything good to say about Martha and it can be frustrating and defeating for those of us who (albeit unbalanced) are working hard to serve those around us.

• Valerie, you are so right. God created Martha to be who she was and there are wonderful parts of her personality…her gift of hospitality, her servant’s heart. Jesus did not want Martha to become Mary…only make better choices. Thank you for reminding us that Marthas have LOTS to celebrate!!!

20. cristal f. says:

Oh bother – such a Martha I am! Working and being busy feels more productive to me, even tho I relish in my times with the Lord. My natural personal self just tends to bend toward Martha. Also my place in life right now has me more focused on family, business and home. We are just a few years from being empty nesters and being able to retire, so I look forward to those days when I can learn to be more of a Mary at the feet of Jesus

21. Donna Lee Little says:

Hi Wendy: I am so excited to hear about the Bible Study. I am a Martha for sure, I keep trying and saying “I am going to become more like Mary.” But as hard as I try and pray, the next thing I know I am Martha, I don’t do well at saying no. It is not a good habit to have formed, God can wait but others can’t!
    I really look forward to the study.God bless you Wendy.

22. Good morning ladies! Oh, Wendy, it is so interesting that you are asking this question! A few years ago, I did a retreat, and as we broke down into groups/tables each day – each table was labeled either Mary or Martha;
    Each day we had assignments – and about half way through the weekend, the assignment was to explain how we were like the assigned table name;
    I was at a Martha table; In my flesh, I was a bit indignant! thinking – I am NOT a Martha, I serve people family, ministry – Huh!!!! :-) No way!
    But as we went into quiet time, I saw how much of a Martha I really was. Doing, going, taking initiative, but not always seeking God’s purpose on what I should do or let go of. … Oh the change that needed to take place to find that balance. More of Mary, less of Martha was needed in my life. It helped me over the past few years – as I get over zealous in my “doing” – to realize stop, think, pray – wait for His answer or door to open, and then Go! The Word is so good to help us with perspective! Living out being a Mary – in a Martha world (which is a very good book too!); This will be a great study for all ladies to gain wisdom and direction that He so desires of each of our lives.

23. I am absolutely a Martha working on being a Mary. I feel guilty taking time to read the Bible because of the “To Do” list I have everyday. I will sit and think about how I should be getting my list done instead of sitting reading. Awful I know because I really need to get back into Him & I time as life just gets chaotic without it. I look forward to this study!

24. I am most definitely a Martha wanting to be a Mary! God has definitely been working on me in this area recently and it is very painful, but I am thankful for how God is giving me more peace in my days no matter what is going on. It is a constant choice I have to be aware of each moment in my day. This sounds like a great study and it will come at the perfect time, God’s timing is always perfect. I will look forward to May! Everyone have a blessed day. :-)

25. Greetings
    I am a Martha struggling to be a Mary. I believe we shoud be the hands and feet of Jesus and that keeps me really busy but happy…looking forward to balance.

26. Carol Blair says:

I am looking forward to this new study. I believe I am a combination of Mary and Martha however, I think I tend to be more like Martha at times as I like to get things done. I know I need to learn how to be more of a Mary.

27. Good afternoon,

I am so excited about this study. I am truly a Martha and so long to just sit with Jesus each day. I allow the business of the day to win out way too often. Can’t wait to learn new bible truths from you. You are an amazing teacher. Thank you for following Go’d guidance in your life

28. Tish McNeill says:

I am definitely a Martha, praying I will become more like Mary. I am constantly on the go with 2 daughters and we are all involved in Girl Scouts. I have recently started a devotional time with my 2 girls at bedtime, and I am really enjoying spending this time with my girls, and watching the work God is doing in our lives.
    I look forward to doing this study, so that I can take what we are studying and use it in my devotional time with my girls, so they will understand how important it is to be more like Mary and allow for that quite time!
    Thank You!

29. Anita Huddleston says:

Guess I’m more of a Martha because I do the work that needs to be done, then I go and listen. During the Lord’s time, I would probably be more of a Mary because I would want to hear what He had to say.

30. Hi Wendy I am a little of Mary and Martha. Most of the morning I try my best to spend time with God to start my day. Even I just read one verse then ask the Holy Spirit how to apply it to my life. There are some days I found myself so busy all I have done for that day is prayed. I am so excited about the online bible study because I want to always put God first in my everyday life. I can not imagine my day without the help of the Lord. I told God I can not manage my life, and I need his help to lead and guide me everyday.

31. Good afternoon! I am sad to say I have been a Martha but I want to be a Mary! I’m really looking forward to this study! God bless you, Wendy, for leading us!

32. Karen KH says:

Hello Wendy,
    I am Martha. I can’t seem to find the time to sit at Jesus feet and just take in his word. This sounds like a good study for me. I can’t wait.

33. Michelle says:

I am such a Martha. I can’t wait for the bible study to learn to incoporate Mary into my life. I have a devotional time but even during that I can’t shut off the Martha part of me always thinking of the next thing I need to place on my to-do list.

34. Margaret says:

I think I am a little bit of both Mary and Martha. I cane get easily distracted with the business
    of the days events. Tryiung to get everything done is so many hours. Other days I am
    more like Mary, spending time iwht the Lord. I sure would rather have my Mary days, rather
    than my Martha days.

35. Sheila Payne says:

Martha. I am definitely a Martha. I do get up early to have my time of being in the Scriptures because if I don’t do it while everyone is asleep and I can’t be noisy, I will never get to it later. My mind gets totally distracted by the “to do” list waiting for me

36. I am definitely a Martha. I am a person that is on the go almost 18 hours a day. I work part-time as a journalist, I am a wife, mother to three little girls, take care of my 86 year old dad and participate in a nursing home ministry weekly.
    I long to just sit at the feet of Jesus but that is usually done at 3am in the morning for me before I wake my girls for school and me to go to work.
    M. Waters

37. Sharon Everts says:

I have in the recent months become a Mary. I spent a lot of years as a Martha and became burned out as a servant in the church. After a emotional breakdown, God decided I needed to become a Mary for a while.

38. Margaret says:

I am probably a little of both. I have Martha says when there is so much to do in such a short period of time. Then I have ays that are more relaxed and I can spend time with my heavenly Father. I would really like to have more Mary days than Martha days.

39. Hello~ Thank you for your devotional today & for the upcoming Bible study. I would have to say that most of the time (especially lately!) I am a Martha. I tend to get very busy & then get upset & over whelmed just as the Biblical Martha did. Also, I have noticed that lately my devotional time with the Lord has been a bit hurried & many times I am distracted. My mind tends to wander or even though I try to make sure the kids are occupied for a bit I usually have to deal with something relating to them right in the middle of my time with God. I need to rest at the feet of Jesus, I need peace & calm in my life & soul. My life is so harried & hectic & so full of trials right now that I need rest yet my Martha personality comes to the fore & I tend to let myself get too busy rather than spending more time with God as I should be. I will be joining your study & praying that God will use it & allow me to truly change me as I walk through the study with you-Wendy- & all the other women who are joining. ~Blessings~

40. Hi Wendy! Appreciate today’s devotional…especially after just receiving a text from a friend saying “take some time for you!” I am more like Martha most of the time…working…volunteering…caring for my medically fragile grandson…but every evening before I lay my head on my pillow…I am like Mary and rest in and with the Lord. I read my Proverbs31 devotions again, my books and my Bible. Every Friday night I sit with the Lord in Eucharistic Adoration from 11 pm to 1am and replenish myself with His Presence! Balancing Martha’s busyness and Mary’s adoration is always a challenge but I keep trying. Looking forward to this Bible study…

41. During this season of my life, I am more like Martha. Unfortunately, I have been so busy being busy. I believe that season is about to be over though. I hope to go back to being more like Mary. I miss the time that I previously had reading and study God’s word. I miss the time that I had to really connect with my Father and listen to Him. I pray that I will be able to go more in depth with Him very soon. I want it! I need it!

42. I WANT to be a Mary, really I do !
    It is so easy to get distracted and busy. Sometimes I get in a good roll and then we get the flu or a cool project or a holiday then Martha just rushes in and takes over!:)

43. Elizabeth says:

Hello Wendy,
    I’m a Martha but also a procrastinator. I listen to a religious radio station for most of the day but seem to be becoming addicted to TV in the evening. I need discipline and self-control to get up and do devotions. So far I listen to the radio as I exercise in bed (late night TV is sapping my energy). Today I was praising God for His blessings and mercies. Praising the Lord is energizing. I like to put scripture verses in Google and see or listen to the Bible on the internet. Sometimes on Biblegateway.com I set it to play (aloud) continuously so I can follow along on-line. So in that way I may be like Mary, but I need to get into my Bible again so that I can mark in the margins. I also put the date when I read something. I sometimes find myself back on the same verses and they seem very appropriate just for me. That makes me feel closer to Jesus. Thank you for the study. I’m looking forward to it.

44. Maria Chambers says:

Thanks Wendy. ‘Sitting at the Feet of Jesus’ is just what I need. To be able to listen to Him in a quiet place each day. I used to be a Martha, always busy and worrying. Taking on responsibilities that were not meant for me to carry. Then my health changed and I was diagnosed with a neurolgical disease called Dystonia. Then I was forced to slow down, and dig deep into God’s Word for help, wisdom and comfort. It has taken me on a journey with Jesus that I wouldn’t have taken if I hadn’t lost my health. So the journey with Jesus is so important for me. I need Him every moment of the day, as I can easily sink into depression.I am really looking forward to your study,and after years of rushing around, moving house seven times ,bringing up my children and granchildren now is the time for me to spend more time in peace and quiet time with the Lord. so thankyou. With love and Blessings. Maria x .

45. Angela Gibbons says:

Hello Windy
    The older I have become the more of a Martha I am, I feel like I’m always worried about the little things. My life is not to busy, its my mind that needs the calm. I’m looking forward to the bible study. Have a great day.

46. Dianna L says:

Just like so many others, my life is filled with too many responsibilities, most of which I have brought on myself. I try to meet needs for others that only God can do. My ability is limited and I tend to dig myself in a hole by trying to do too much. I am emotionally, physically, and spiritually exhausted. I love helping and blessing others with the many resources I have been given, most certainly God given gifts, but I don’t know when to stop. I need to learn to set boundaries for myself so that I don’t become so burdened with things to do and needs to meet that my time with the Lord is just another task on the daily list of “to do’s”. I enjoy being a Martha in my head, but my heart so wants to be a Mary. Thank you for this study!

47. Wendy, I am also more like Martha than Mary. My desire is to sit at Jesus’ feet but I find myself busily doing or rushing off to work, whether at home or on the job. Looking follow to this new study.

48. Peggy Clement says:

I am a Martha because I let other things distract me during my quite time, and don’t know how to shut down and quiten my mind so I can completly be with Jesus.

49. Dear Wendy, I am SO EXCITED for this study! I am like a little kid with a paper chain counting down the days until Christmas! Thank you for all you pour into our lives. You are a beautiful portrait of a drink offering.

Boy, this Mary vs Martha battle constantly runs through my veins. Like many of the ladies, I am a combination. My day starts out more like Mary but once my family wakes up and it’s time for school/work, I’m Martha on steroids (I’m sure she appreciated that comment- sorry Martha). So, I’ve learned to schedule a second quiet time in the afternoons. But… oy vay… I think I’m hardwired to be Martha but I long to be Mary.

I love you my friend!

50. I’m here early this morning attempting to quiet by heart and be Mary. Sitting at the feet of Jesus attempting to hear His voice and soak in His word and clear teachings for me before this day begins. Then I jump up and busy myself with the day – husband, family, full time job, pets, exercise, errands , and on and on. But I’m really not a Martha either. Sinful in my own flesh I refect that I do most of my day not with a servant’s heart, at least Martha was serving. Geez, I’m more of slave to the list that daily life serves up to me. Boy or boy I’m a mess. Signed, not Mary or Martha. But clay in my potter’s hand. Needing prayer

51. Hi Wendy,

I believe I have the spirit of Mary because I always want to be with Jesus and consult Him for decisions. But I also feel sometimes I identify with Martha because of my busy schedule, I feel like I short change Jesus by not giving Him the quality time He deserves. The thought of sitting at Jesus’ feet just melts my heart because that is where I desire to be.

Thank you and I’m looking forward to this study!

52. Wendy,
    I’m a Martha at heart. I say that because I was raised by an OCD mom(sweet, Christian woman, but, WOAH, big Martha) whose mentality was “no rest until every chore is complete”. It went so far as if you WERE resting, something was wrong. There was always a drawer to organize, a closet to clean, or yard work to get ahead on at least. Needless to say, QUIET TIME for me often consisted of Satan sitting on my shoulder reminding me of housework. Though I vowed I would not be THAT mom or THAT wife, I still struggled. To say I wasn’t even close to being such a Martha is an understatement, but type A shines through.
    Six years ago, I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. The same month my daughter (nine at the time) was diagnosed with a working memory disorder accompanying severe ADHD without hyperactivity. A blow to say the least. I do hate the disease that I have. I never know from day to day how I will feel or how long my energy will last. I embrace the fact that God allowed me to get sick though. He is teaching me to rely more on Him. He is teaching me to let so many things go (makes me look like an awful housekeeper). He has equipped me to meet my daughter’s needs and raise her without expecting that Martha perfection that she would never ever be able to give. Just that alone, raising my child to know that she is enough, that she is wonderful the way God made her, is a reason to praise God for my illness. My Martha body would have probably conditioned her to think she was a failure. My mind is still very Martha. I get easily frustrated and overwhelmed at all that needs to be done in my household. On those painful days, though, God forces me to be a Mary.

• Elizabeth says:

Dear Michelle,
      I was very impressed with your honesty and your ability to praise God for your illness. It is a rare person who looks for the good in the challenges in life. My husband died of cancer 3 years ago but he accepted what he needed to do to try to fight it. He had chemo and it did help reduce the tumors in his liver. His doctor remarked about how stoic he was. He didn’t complain but tried to learn as much about bile duct cancer as he could. I got involved with writing to legislators and Congress did pass a bill for recalcitrant cancers like pancreatic cancer that only has a single digit per cent survival rate. (Pancreatic cancer was the closest to bile duct cancer). I am finding that the Lord can use me at church, but I need to watch out for overcommitting. I joined a chorus and I’m enjoying being social–I tended to isolate myself at first. I find if I can help someone, it lifts me as well. Just a phone call or a note can really make someone’s day. I will keep you and your daughter in my prayers. Have a great day.
      Elizabeth

53. Hi Wendy! I love your bible studies and can hardly wait to start this one! I didn’t have to think twice on this one…I am a Martha, through and through. I actually find myself saying “I hear you!” sometimes, only the name isn’t Martha it is Ellen, Ellen, Ellen! I get so frustrated with myself and have decided that it is just the way I am but I keep trying to find a way to less of a Martha and more of a Mary!

54. Oh I tend to be a Martha all too often! God is showing me I don’t just need a Mary spirit to start my day but instead be like her throughout the day…to stay close to Him, listen and focus on His plans rather than my own. Looking forward to this study!

55. Dear Wendy,

Thank you so much for your devotional about being “set apart”. It spoke to my heart today, being just what I needed to hear from the Lord. And, it is such a blessing to learn about and sign up for your upcoming bible study. The answer to your question is “Martha” without hesitation. However, I love the Lord; He has saved and transformed my life and I long to be like Mary. I don’t want to miss all that He would have me “be” because I am so busy “doing”. I will be looking forward to this study.

Thanks, again.

56. Hi Wendy,

I am very much a Martha with a bit of Mary sprinkled in. I would love for Mary to become my main ingredient and not just a little sprinkle on top to make things look good. Does that makes sense? I look forward to this new Bible study. I will be honest and say that my first response was, “when will I have time for that!?” Pretty convicting! Thanks for all you do! I look forward to the blessings we will all receive from this study. I so want to sit at Jesus’ feet!
    Renee

57. Wow Wendy what a timely study. When I first started living in the dorms last semester at school my first goal was to get up before classes and spend time with God in His Word. For a while it was great, putting Him first made my day go a lot better when it did when I didn’t put him first. ( I wasn’t testing Him believe me). But once classes got under way and assignments were coming at fast paces I lost sight of why I was there to begin with – I may have shared this before I don’t remember- I was taking classes to be a Youth Minister. And I was going to a private religious school so why wouldn’t the goal of putting God first be of utmost importance? The answer- life got in the way. Now to answer the question I started out at being Mary, and turned into Martha, now I want to be like Mary again. So I can’t wait to see where God leads me again.

58. Charlotte Askew says:

I was a Martha for way too many years. I am now, very much a Mary, and because of becoming a Mary, I have developed a thirst and hunger so great for our Lord that I could never return to being that Martha again. There is no life as rewarding and satisfying as the Mary life.

59. Wendy, I am very excited about this study. I have to say I am a combination of both Martha and Mary. Lately I have been Mary in that just about every chance I get I spend it with God and have a great desire to do so. The more I abide in Him, the more he abides in me and I can honestly say that I am more in Love with the word of God that have been in the past. I can’t describe it any other way except that of an addiction. God is Alive and AWESOME!!!

60. I think that I am naturally a Martha as I do have a servant’s heart. However, as life has brought its challenges, I have learned the importance of needing to be a Mary. I am learning to put being a Mary before I can be a Martha.

61. caroline says:

Thank you Wendy! I am excited to be part of another one of your Bible Studies!!!! God Bless You

62. I think I’m more of a Martha. I let myself get distracted by even the most trivial things, making time spent with Jesus not so much of priority. This study is coming at a very good time. And for me it’s not just about learning how to have a richer quiet time with the Lord, but learning how not to let my anxieties get the best of me. I just came home from the hospital yesterday after needing an angiogram because of some chest pains. Thankfully, everything turned out normal, but it showed me how dangerous it is when I don’t lay my cares at the feet of Jesus. So thank you, Wendy, for following God’s leading (again) and leading this study at this time.

I’d also like to ask for prayer even now so that the Lord will begin is work in me in this are/ Thanks!

63. Mary McCauley says:

I think I am a Mary, like my name! I love spending time focused on God, on the wonders of His love and grace and pondering what he is trying to teach me. But then there are things that come up and I find myself slipping into Martha, busy with this and that and the other. I am looking forward to an online Bible study with Rene Swope and I think this will fit nicely in with that.

64. Wendy,
    As much as I admire Mary, I find myself acting more like Martha. Never really setting aside a quiet time, rushing from place to place and task to task leaves me lost. I’m looking forward to the study.
    Brenda

65. I am most definitely a Martha! I tend to worry more over the things that are far less important, i.e my house being clean and “right”, instead of focusing on my heart being clean and “right”. I am having my family over for Easter and I am already stressing because I want to win this inner battle and worry more that I am ready to show my family a home full of Jesus or a home full of cleanliness and everything being perfect for that day. Thank you for your encouragement and studies, they help soo much!

66. I was a Martha who was changed into a Mary. Jesus used to sit at the edges of my life and while I called myself a Christian, I knew little more than what I had been taught as a child and I was too busy working, making money, buying, spending, and living a less than God-like life. By the mercy of God, a car accident in 2005 slowly changed that! With no choice but to withdraw from my work and eventually going out permanently on disability, I turned away from material things and devoted my time to building a deeper relationship with my Lord. Today, I am partially disabled and so grateful for the accident that changed my life and saved my soul! I am now Mary at the feet of Jesus, eager to learn more everday, to pray deeply and more often, to fellowship with other Christians, and to sit quietly at His feet just waiting to hear from my Savior. Praise the Lord for His miracle working abilities!

67. Anne Green says:

Anne Green
    Mar 23 (2 days ago)

to Wendy
    Dear Wendy,
    I believe I can be both Mary and Martha depending on circumstances. When a new Christian and newly married I had a prolonged attack on my health and there was little I could do during much of that time. Fresh out of Bible College and all fired up I filled my days with with lovely long uninterrupted times of bible study, reading worship and prayer with fasting. The result was a clarity and intimacy I would not have had if I was well and fully able to contribute to my husband’s business and family and church. I was a Mary then enjoying sweet communion with Him..

Now almost 25 years later and in the best health I have had and with many choices and options open to me I struggle with really spending quality time with Jesus in the way I used to and the wonderful precious lengthy times focussed on Him in praise and worship are no more. I had become Martha with the so -called quiet time now another job on the list. How sad is that? Well, maybe not.I cried out to God that I had so many blessings and a good husband but no purpose in life, my prayer life was stale and I had no reason to get up in the morning. He heard and answered me with His smile.He had a plan.

Wow! I am enjoying life in a whole new way. No more depression! God has opened up an amazing new interest. Yes at 71, I find myself laughing out loud with joy. I am painting ……… a totally beginner artist learning to paint with acrylics! And God is in it. I feel His presence even as I write about it now. I wake up in the morning excited anticipating the joys of experimenting and learning how to paint each day. Housework takes no time and is no bother as I get ready to paint. I love the pure colours and I am in awe of God’s goodness and the beauty of His creation. It seems He gave me some talent which has lain buried all these years and it is blossoming now. :-)

And do you know what else? How amazing is our God? I paid for a couple of lessons for my husband now retired who has always painted a bit especially sketches when travelling and now he is all fired up and greatly enjoying using pastels for the first time of his life. In fact this faithful praying leader in our church,my husband, a father grandfather and great-grandfather is also enjoying life and our marriage more than ever before! We have lots to talk about now :-) .

We both go to a friendly art group in a nearby town and take the beautiful sea route or the inland mountain view route, both lovely and make up a picnic to enjoy. John is off to a pastels portrait class right now …I can;t wait to see what he has done. And I learn off the internet….how good is that! and art magazines. Our local art supply seller is an lovely knowledgeable lady who is always ready to share her expertise. God has opened up a whole new world to us which was right here sitting at our feet all along and we did not know it.

Yes this unexpected new season of our lives has brought us closer together and our prayer lives and intimacy with God is deepening in a quite new and different way. God is Good!:-)

So, Mary or Martha? You be the judge. I really don’t know how to answer that question. I just love God and KNOW He loves me :-)
    Blessings on You,
    Anne

68. Thank you for this study. I am a Mary “want to be”, but recognize my solid Martha in the comments of so many others. I have my quiet time in the morning an struggle with my focus. Once my feet hit the floor, I am on the go and focus on so much unnecessary “fluff”. I want my mind to be formost in gratitude and love of The Lord, but recognize that there are far too many hours that go by that my thoughts are so far away! Looking forward to the study.

69. Friends, I have SO ENJOYED reading your comments. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share from your heart about whether you are a Mary or a Martha…or a combination of both. Your words make me so excited for our time together in May.

I will send a post out the week before the study with a reminder and message from me.

There is no cost for the study. You will need a Bible, a computer, and a notebook or journal.

Blessings to you,

70. Thanks for sending the link, which enables me to share with all.
    I am more of a Martha, but learning to be more like Martha, and focus on Jesus, instead of what needs be done, or how it’s done. Thanks for your encouragement here too!
    Looking forward to the study. . .

71. Oops, now I read my post, in which I meant to be more like Mary. I hope you all knew what I meant, and forgive me for my lack of attention. Is that Martha emerging again? Ha Ha

72. Kim Avila says:

I long to be Mary. In fact, on occasion I have my Mary moments. Usually though, I am more Martha. I’m married. I work. I have children, a house to take care of, etc etc… It’s so much easier for me to do for others and not for myself.
    This study will be perfect!

73. I wish I could say I’m a Mary but I am so a Martha.

74. I am a Martha. Too distracted and worried.

75. Sandy C. says:

Wendy, I am so a Martha in every sense of the name. I always am doing for others and making sure they have the time to listen. I know that it is usually a cover up for my own self-imposed inadequacies. Looking forward to the study. Be Blessed in all you do. Oh by the way can Spring hurry up it is toooooo cold here in Kentucky.

76. Karen Halterman says:

Wendy-I am definitely a Mary person:the woman who lovesto sit at the feet of Jesus and learn more about His Kingdom and living my life deeper with Him. I leave the “busyness” of the church and all that stuff to those Martha’s out there. Nope, I would much rather be delving into a deeper journey with Jesus. (I have no problem counting dust bunnies and having dirty dishes in the sink/on cupboards while I sit with Jesus..learning from Him about His Father and living life in Him).

Karen from Iowa

77. I’m defenetly Martha, the always to do girl. When something is undone I feel like I must do it. Taking a brake from doing is a challenge for me.

78. In my heart, I know God’s Word is the bread of life, that I need everyday. I try to cut down times watching TV, newspapers, except to wind down a bit after coming home from work, but I still cannot have enough time spent with the Lord. Maybe I am greedy.. I wanted a longer time not half an hour. So, am I more of a Martha? I am so eager to learn/remember all that i read, and can get disappointed that I cannot recall all of it. I am looking forward to learn how to do effective quiet time. Thanks so much, Wendy.

79. I have never really given it much thought, but I know I can allow th distractions of life take me away from my devotional time. If I’ve over-committed I will not focus well. I look forward to seeing what I can glean from your study.

80. I’m definitely a Martha… I’ve tried to change that over and over again, but fall back on tasks and serving rather than just sitting and spending time with the Lord.

81. We just did a bible study at our church about Mary and Martha. Mary blessed Jesus by her devotion during the hardest time of his life. I want to be able to bless God – what an honor. Thanks for the great reminder to pray as well. I’ve been struggling with getting my daughter out of her funky mood and after reading this blog post today I remembered I haven’t been praying specifically for her lately.

82. I am so looking forward to this new study. I believe I am kind of a combination of Mary and Martha. It has only been a little over a year that I turned my life over the the Lord but I try to start each day with the Bible & so far the last 2 wks I sit in quiet & read the word before I start each day & I am really loving my Study Bible. I am loving ALL the Bible study’s I have done & can’t wait for this one to start also.

83. Karen Faire says:

I admit it, I’m a Mary. There is no place I’d rather be than be at Jesus’ feet. My trouble is finding the balance between the physical and what feeds my spirit. I need to learn that sometimes going for a walk, gardening and cleaning can be the most spiritual thing I can do. I’m looking forward to the study. Sounds like fun and some structure for the summer weeks. Thank you for offering this.

84. Lugene Blair says:

Without a doubt I am a Martha but resting in Him and sitting at His feet. I have known the Lord for a very long time- probably longer than most women here are old. I teach teens and women and love being taught. My husband/pastor is an amazing teacher/preacher who truly loves the Lord and I get much doctrine and reproof from the messages but so enjoy sitting under the teaching of a sister in the Lord. I find it encourages me in my own teaching experiences and shows as God works in and through others what those I am dealing with may need for encouragement and growth also. Looking forward to the study…God’s richest blessings be yours!

85. For most of my life, I was definitely a Martha. I now long and seek to be a Mary, but struggle with distractions. Looking forward to the study.

86. Rosemarie says:

I, sadly, am definately a Martha. I find I am “squeezing” in bible study and quiet time, even though I so desire to study God’s Word, draw closer to Him and HEAR from Him. Looking forward to this study and learning how to do these very things.

87. Hurts to say, but I am a Martha. Although I do make time to study God’s word, it is very hard for me to concentrate fully on Him when I should only be with Him. So looking forward to this study. Thank you! Blessings…

88. I see a lot of Marthas here! I am a combination – I have a quick devotional each morning, but I’d like to get deeper into His Word. I also work full time and have a husband and 3 kids, so my days can get filled up and busy with them and household chores rather than Jesus time. I think it’s fabulous to find a Bible study that doesn’t require the purchase of book and uses only the Bible. Thanks!

89. I am a combination of Mary and Martha. When I am having people over for a meal, I am most certainly a Martha. However, my heart is to study God’s Word so I can honor and glorify His name. I wish I was always a Mary, sitting at the feet of my Lord.

Trackbacks

1. [...] you want to learn more about the study, click here. To register simply visit the right side of my blog and click on “Sign up for Wendy’s [...]