October 9, 2017

These Things Are Not Supposed to Be

They weren’t supposed to attend a country music festival and end up running for their lives.

He wasn’t supposed to take an anniversary trip with his beloved and end up shielding her from a bullet.

She wasn’t supposed to hug her children goodbye and end up never holding them again.

He wasn’t supposed to celebrate his 44th birthday and end up never celebrating another birthday.

She wasn’t supposed to say yes to her beloved’s proposal and never end up walking down the aisle.

She wasn’t supposed to be dancing and laughing with her best friends one minute and lying lifeless the next.

These things are not supposed to be.

I don’t have answers. I don’t have explanations.

But I know the One who does.

The One who tells me when the darkness invades my happy space … when disaster turns my life upside down … when evil oppresses me on every side … He is there.

His name is The Ancient of Days (Daniel 7:9-10). The One who was, is, and forever will be (Hebrews 13:8).

The One who gives us the powerful words of a young shepherd boy named David, who in the midst his impossible, spoke words we need today.

“Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours, but God’s. You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out and face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you” (2 Chronicles 20:15).

Our world is a scary place. It feels as if danger and uncertainty lurk around every corner. We don’t know what each day will hold. But, we do know the One who hold our days.

We can be afraid and discouraged or we can be confident and encouraged. The choice is ours.

It matters where we fix our eyes and on whom we fix our hope.

God is our hope … our only true hope (Psalm 62:5).

Run to the One who is your strength and your shield (Psalm 28:7). The One who fights for you (Exodus 14:14). His presence will never leave you. He will never forsake you (Deuteronomy 31:6).

The name of the Lord is a strong tower to which we can run and are safe, even in the most desperate of circumstances (Proverbs 18:10).

Whether He stills the storm or invites you in, He will be with you.

God is our Rock (Psalm 18:2). His love is steadfast (Lamentations 3:22-23).

Pray this prayer with me,

Thank You, Lord, that You are a shield around me,
    my glory, the One who lifts my head high.
I call out to you, Lord,
    and you answer me from Your holy mountain.

I lie down and sleep;
    I wake again, because You, O Lord, sustain me.
I will not fear though tens of thousands
    assail me on every side.

Lord, I will keep my eyes fixed on You (Psalm 3:2-6). In Jesus’ name. Amen

What verse gives you comfort in times when fear and darkness press in? Share it with us today. I’d love to see this page FILLED with God’s Word we can all cling to our in our times of despair and distress.

Comments

1. Mary L. Palm says:

That was Very Comforting, Wendy. Here’s 2 of my favorite Scriptures in times of trouble n fear.

God is our Refuge and Strength. A Very Present Help in Trouble. Psalm 46:1 NASB
    When I am afraid, I will Trust in You. Psalm 56:3 HCSB

2. Mary L. Palm says:

God is our Refuge and Strength. A Very Present Help in Trouble. Psalm 46:1 NASB
    When I am afraid, I will Trust in You. Psalm 56:3 HCSB

3. I waited patiently for the Lord ; And He inclined to me and heard my cry. He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; Many will see and fear And will trust in the Lord .
    Psalms 40:1‭-‬3 NASB

4. Laura Morlock says:

I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them. – Isaiah 42:16

Thank you for sharing your heart so beautifully. So incredibly humbled by our great God’s faithfulness!

5. Stacey Mendro says:

“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
    ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭56:3‬ ‭ESV‬‬

6. Stacey Mendro says:

“My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”
    ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭121:2‬ ‭ESV‬‬

7. Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10 NLT

8. Sharon Serrano says:

You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you. Isaiah 26:3 NIV

Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4 NIV

Psalm 91 (my favorite)

9. Thank you for sharing your heart with us. Lately, Psalm 118 has been my go to.

• Thank you for leaving a kind word of thanks for the post. I know you have found much comfort and strength in God’s Word as you have traveled through dark times. Thanks for sharing where God has you now.

10. In general I really struggle with fear! It has been something God has recently revealed to me and something I’ve been praying about a lot lately. I felt like I was making some progress and then… the horrific news of Vegas came over my screen! Seeing the faces and hearing the stories of these men and women many of whom were my age with spouses and children brought my fears to the surface tears streamed down my face as I lay in bed that night. Tears of sorrow for all the hurting people and tears of fear for all the evil in our world today. I cried out to God to help me not be overcome with fear. No sooner did my heart cry out, did I hear God whisper….Psalms 91. I quickly opened up my bible and read the words over and over. I felt his presence in those words and peace fill my heart. I can’t say I even fully understand all his words in those verses but I do know that god is trying to tell
    Me that He is my place of safety the one in whom I can trust. Even when I don’t understand and even when life is so hard God is with me and he will never leave me.

• Marcia Glase says:

Andrea, I am so thankful that God lead you to Psalm 91.
      Thank you for telling your story. I have also felt this way.
      I just have to repeat Phillipians 4:13 over and over. It is
      favorite verse plus one of the few I can actually remember.
      I blame my medicine but I think I was already forgetful
      before that, lol. There is comfort in knowing God is with
      us all the time.

• Andrea, I lived many many years bound up in fear, and it is ONLY HIS WORD and HIS PRESENCE that healed me … fully and completely. I pray He will continue to woo you back to Himself with His Word each time fear rears its ugly head. Remember you are MORE than a conqueror through Christ who loves you. Thank you for taking the time to share so vulnerably. I know many can identify with you. I’m so thankful He took you to His Word and ministered to you through it. He is faithful!!

11. Ginny Rassier says:

Romans 8:31-38
    So what should we say about all of this? If God is on our side, then tell me: whom should we fear? If He did not spare His own Son, but handed Him over on our account, then don’t you think that He will graciously give us all things with Him? Can anyone be so bold as to level a charge against God’s chosen? Especially since God’s “not guilty” verdict is already declared. Who has the authority to condemn? Jesus the Anointed who died, but more importantly, conquered death when He was raised to sit at the right hand of God where He pleads on our behalf. So who can separate us? What can come between us and the love of God’s Anointed? Can troubles, hardships, persecution, hunger, poverty, danger, or even death? The answer is, absolutely nothing. As the psalm says, On Your behalf, our lives are endangered constantly; we are like sheep awaiting slaughter. But no matter what comes, we will always taste victory through Him who loved us. For I have every confidence that nothing—not death, life, heavenly messengers, dark spirits, the present, the future, spiritual powers, height, depth, nor any created thing—can come between us and the love of God revealed in the Anointed, Jesus our Lord.

• Yes, yes!!! One of my all-time favorites and a passage I teach on often. So powerful. So many truths … life-changing truths.

Thank you for taking the time to share.

12. Yanna Westmoreland says:

Psalm 91 is my go to chapter. Especially verse 4 I snuggle in close.

13. sheila payne says:

This is so needed. I agree with choosing confident and encouraged. It just doesn’t feel like a choice with how much easier feeling scared and discouraged is. However, it is completely worth the effort to repeat Psalm 62:5 and others over and over . Thank you for writing this encouraging post. I REALLY needed it.

14. Psalm 91

15. Mary Tullila says:

So many scriptures of powerful and proactive living scriptures to drink down deeply from ….
    I wailed to the Lord …why me ? Why now? Why do my loved ones die by thier own hands and not in your timing??
    He said to me ….this.

The Spirit of the Sovereign Lord is on me,
    because the Lord has anointed me
    to proclaim good news to the poor.
    He has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted,
    to proclaim freedom for the captives
    and release from darkness for the prisoners,[a]
    2 to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor
    and the day of vengeance of our God,
    to comfort all who mourn,
    3 and provide for those who grieve in Zion—
    to bestow on them a crown of beauty
    instead of ashes,
    the oil of joy
    instead of mourning,
    and a garment of praise
    instead of a spirit of despair.
    They will be called oaks of righteousness,
    a planting of the Lord
    for the display of his splendor.

It is my purpose and not yours Mary …your sorrow is to bring you closer to me , to tell them! Go….feed my sheep.

• Amen and amen, Mary. “Your sorrow is to bring you closer to me.” LOVE THAT! And thank you for sharing this passage. Full of so many rich promises from and about our Jesus.

16. Lynn Hookway says:

Psalm 121

1 I lift up my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? 2 My help comes from the LORD, who made heaven and earth. 3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber. 4 Behold, he who keeps Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. 5 The LORD is your keeper; the LORD is your shade on your right hand. 6 The sun shall not strike you by day, nor the moon by night. 7 The LORD will keep you from all evil; he will keep your life. 8 The LORD will keep your going out and your coming in from this time forth and forevermore. (ESV)

17. Roberta Nelson says:

Thank you so very much for this Wendy. 1 Peter 5:7 “Cast all your anxiety on God because he cares for you. ” This is my calming, reassuring verse. Also, Deuteronomy 31:8, “The Lord himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you or forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.” May all find comfort in the words of our Lord.

18. Wendy, Here are 2 of my go to scriptures I claim in difficult times:

Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and and will be with you; He will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.

My life verse and one the Lord gave me while raising my sons as a single parent:

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight.

I have proven Him faithful to me through it all!!
    Because HE lives
    Betsy

19. Grace Adams says:

Psalm 27:13…I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord
    In the land of the living.

20. Sue Mattro says:

Isaiah 40:28-31New International Version (NIV)

28 Do you not know?
    Have you not heard?
    The Lord is the everlasting God,
    the Creator of the ends of the earth.
    He will not grow tired or weary,
    and his understanding no one can fathom.
    29 He gives strength to the weary
    and increases the power of the weak.
    30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
    and young men stumble and fall;
    31 but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
    They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

• Amen. Sue, this carried my Grandmother through one of the hardest times in her life. Even when she had Alzheimers in her last days, she could recite this verse from heart. She didn’t know our names or her memories, but she remembered God’s Word. It was seared into her heart. Praise God for that!!

• Sue Mattro says:

Wendy, that is so touching. Thank you for sharing. May your dear Grandmother Rest in Peace. Yes, Praise God!
        God Bless,
        Sue

21. Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand. Isaiah 41:10 NLT

22. Janine Farson says:

A verse of great comfort to me is Is 41:3
    but those who hope in the Lord
    will renew their strength.
    They will soar on wings like eagles;
    they will run and not grow weary,
    they will walk and not be faint.

23. I find so much comfort in so many Psalms, but one of my favorites is also the one I memorized over 50 years ago as a small child: Psalm 23 KJV”The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures, He leadeth me besides the still waters, He restoreth my soul. He.guideth me along paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil, for thou art with me. Thy rod and staff, they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies. Thou annointeth my head with oil, my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life and I will live in the house of the LORD forever.
    *I almost always use the NIV, but when it comes to Psalm 23, the old English KJV is my comfort.

• I love how God has kept this alive in your heart after all these years … word for word. It is a great encouragement for moms to have their children memorize Scripture!!! Thank you for sharing.

wendy

24. Mary Jo Cyr says:

The Lord your God is in your midst,
    a mighty one who will save;
    he will rejoice over you with gladness;
    he will quiet you by his love;
    he will exult over you with loud singing. Zephaniah 3:17

• Oh, yes, Mary Jo, this is such a good one!! How much our God loves and delights in His children. Thank you for stopping by and sharing your verse.

wendy

• Judy Patterson says:

This one is my favorite too and even taught my grandkids at our “Cousins Camp”. Hearing a 4 year old recite still makes me smile! He is with us. He saves us. He Delights in us. His love holds us. He sings LOUD in joy over us! What else do we need but to KNOW these truths?

25. Proverbs 3:5 “Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.”

Needed your encouraging and comforting words today. Two friends battling cancer. One that doesn’t look like they are going to make it through the week. Another in a trial with medication, but who hasn’t been able to get treatment for two weeks because of elevated enzymes. Hard to take in, but trying to trust.

• Jean, I’m so very thankful the message the Lord laid on my heart for today encouraged you. Answered prayer for sure. I pray that even more than my words, His Word filling this page has brought comfort and hope for you and for your friends.

26. Shawnia Holler says:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding in all your ways acknowledge Him and he will make your paths straight do not be wise in your own eyes fear the Lord and shun evil this will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones Proverbs 3:5-8 ❤️

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength Philippians 4:13❤️

Humble yourself before the Lord and He shall lift you up James 4:10❤️

Draw near to God and he will draw near to you James 4:8❤️

Direct my footsteps according to your word let no sin rule over me Psalms 119:133❤️

27. Mare Hindall says:

I cling to this verse in everything.

28. For I know the plans I have for you declares the Lord, plans to prosper and not to harm you plans to give you a hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 1 John 4:4 NIV

The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you. Romans 16:20 NIV

• 1 John 4:4 is one of the verses I teach on in my new book coming out in December. It’s a study on 1 John entitled “I Am Loved: walking in the Fullness of God’s Love.” This promise you shared is one of the greatest promises we have as children of God!! Thank you for sharing it with us today.

29. Psalm 23 brings much comfort.
    Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for You are with me, Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

30. Selma S Lee says:

These are such comforting words Wendy! Thank you
    for sharing. Here are a couple of my cling to verses…

Then you will call, and the Lord will answer; You will call
    for help and He will say; Here I AM.
    Isaiah 58;9A
    The everlasting God is your (my) place of safety and His
    arms will hold you up forever.
    Deuteronomy 33:27

31. Jem Renee says:

Psalm 18:2
    The Lord is my Rock and my fortress and my deliverer, my God, my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.

32. Katherine says:

33. Hope Beach says:

Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not unto your own understanding. In all your ways, acknowledge Him and He will direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5,6

34. Sheila Dailie says:

When the world, whether my personal world, or the larger community seem so dark, these words are real and raw and speak of a bleeding, broken heart. Yet there is hope!

Lamentations 3:1-33
    I am the one who has seen the afflictions
    that come from the rod of the Lord’s anger.
    2 He has led me into darkness,
    shutting out all light.
    3 He has turned his hand against me
    again and again, all day long.
    4 He has made my skin and flesh grow old.
    He has broken my bones.
    5 He has besieged and surrounded me
    with anguish and distress.
    6 He has buried me in a dark place,
    like those long dead.
    7 He has walled me in, and I cannot escape.
    He has bound me in heavy chains.
    8 And though I cry and shout,
    he has shut out my prayers.
    9 He has blocked my way with a high stone wall;
    he has made my road crooked.
    10 He has hidden like a bear or a lion,
    waiting to attack me.
    11 He has dragged me off the path and torn me in pieces,
    leaving me helpless and devastated.
    12 He has drawn his bow
    and made me the target for his arrows.
    13 He shot his arrows
    deep into my heart.
    14 My own people laugh at me.
    All day long they sing their mocking songs.
    15 He has filled me with bitterness
    and given me a bitter cup of sorrow to drink.
    16 He has made me chew on gravel.
    He has rolled me in the dust.
    17 Peace has been stripped away,
    and I have forgotten what prosperity is.
    18 I cry out, “My splendor is gone!
    Everything I had hoped for from the Lord is lost!”
    19 The thought of my suffering and homelessness
    is bitter beyond words.[a]
    20 I will never forget this awful time,
    as I grieve over my loss.
    21 Yet I still dare to hope
    when I remember this:
    22 The faithful love of the Lord never ends![b]
    His mercies never cease.
    23 Great is his faithfulness;
    his mercies begin afresh each morning.
    24 I say to myself, “The Lord is my inheritance;
    therefore, I will hope in him!”
    25 The Lord is good to those who depend on him,
    to those who search for him.
    26 So it is good to wait quietly
    for salvation from the Lord.
    27 And it is good for people to submit at an early age
    to the yoke of his discipline:
    28 Let them sit alone in silence
    beneath the Lord’s demands.
    29 Let them lie face down in the dust,
    for there may be hope at last.
    30 Let them turn the other cheek to those who strike them
    and accept the insults of their enemies.
    31 For no one is abandoned
    by the Lord forever.
    32 Though he brings grief, he also shows compassion
    because of the greatness of his unfailing love.
    33 For he does not enjoy hurting people
    or causing them sorrow.

• Emily Nehring says:

Hebrews 10:23. ” let us cling fast to the hope we profess, for he who has promised us is faithful.” This got me through my son’s two bouts with cancer and my daughter’s death.

• Thank you Sheila and Emily!!! Lamentations is a book many don’t turn to so thank you for pulling out a rich passage from it today. And I LOVE the Hebrews verse. So thankful the Lord met you in these hard places, Emily, with His promise that even when we can’t always see it and feel it, HE IS FAITHFUL!!! May He continue to minister to you on those hard days as you miss your sweet girl.

35. Psalm 94:19 ESV
    When the cares of my hear are many,
    Your consolations cheer my soul.

36. Beautifully written Wendy. So much devastation this year. John 16:33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” This brings much comfort to my troubled heart.

37. “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7 (ESV)

38. “The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures. He leads me beside still waters. He restores my soul. He leads me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; you anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.”
    ‭‭Psalms‬ ‭23:1-6‬ ‭ESV‬‬

Shane and Shane sing a beautiful version of this on their Psalms album. I listen often & find great comfort in these words.

Thank you for your beautiful message, Wendy!

39. 1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

40. “I keep my eyes always on the LORD. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.”
    Psalm 16:8

Recently, when I feel anxious and troubled, I recite this verse a few times to draw strength and peace.

41. Stela Heuschkel says:

Bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. Colossians And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. 3:13 & 15.

I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world. John 16:33

Wendy, God uses you in such beautiful ways. Thank you for sharing. I love you.

42. Psalm 62:5-8 is what I lean on in difficult times.

I also remember Jeremiah 29:11,there is a good in store for my life.

43. Bess McClung says:

Psalm 34:4, I sought the Lord, and He answered me; He delivered me from all my fears.
    Luke 8:25 “Where is your faith?” Jesus asked his disciples. In fear and amazement they asked one another, “Who is this?” He commands even the winds and the water and they obey him.

No struggle is greater than the power of The Father, The Son, and the Holy Spirit!

• Bess! So wonderful to see your name here. Your words speak great truth: “No struggle is greater than the power of the “Father, Son and Holy Spirit.” AMEN!

Thanks for stopping by and sharing your verses and your thoughts.

44. My dear friend… thank you for your heart of compassion and empathy. Time and time again, you show me Jesus’ tenderness… His love… in the midst of desperate pain. You live 2 Corinthians 1:3-4. I know because I’m so often the recipient. I thank God for the immeasurable gift of you in my life.

I hold tight to Psalm 91:4-5 He will cover you with his feathers,and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night…

It reminds me of being wrapped up in a down comforter. And in abounding love, Jesus wraps me up and draws me in. I’m praying this over the countless hurting hearts… in Texas, Florida, Vegas, and now in the CA fires. And all the stories that won’t make the headlines.

Thank You Papa for being near. For drawing us in. Blanket each hurting heart in Jesus’ Name, amen.

I love you Wendy!

• Noelle, thank you for your sweet words of blessing. I feel the same about you!!

Many have shared Psalm 91 as one that brings them comfort. Love that visual of being covered by our Abba Father, safely tucked under His wings.

Amen and amen to your prayer.

Love you back, me. 🙂

45. Loved, Loved, Loved what you said…so sad…but His Word so comforting..Here is my “go to” scripture when I am sad, discouraged, sleepless…Psalm 18:6The Voice (VOICE)

6 In my time of need, I called to the Eternal;
    I begged my True God for help.
    He heard my voice echo up to His temple,
    and my cry came to His ears.

I love that I can envision Him inclining to “hear” my cry..even as far as His Temple…even as far as His “ears”..The God of ALL comfort..comforting “me”.

• Yes, Carmen. And I do so love the wording in The Voice, especially for passages like this. “He heard my voice echo up to His temple. My cry came to His ears.” Our Abba Father, listens for our cries. He is just waiting to comfort us.

Thank you for stopping by!!

46. Psalm 119:114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
    I hope in Your word
    Psalm 46:1 6 God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
    Praying for all affected by this tragedy. A beautiful woman there with her husband celebrating his safe return from a tour in Iraq…..Jovana praying that Jehovah Rapha, God our Healer will be with You through your journey, and that He will bring you healing.Amen
    Thank you Wendy, yes this world is such a scary place, but we hang on to the fact that we have a Father who never leaves us❤❤

• Anna, this story breaks my heart. Thank you for sharing her name so we can pray for her.

Thank you for sharing your verses. Such a strong image those words … “my hiding place.” We can run to Him and find safety and comfort and provision.

47. Wendy, it was great to see a new post from you! And even better to read all these truths, promises and encouragement straight from Scripture here today!

A few verses/passages come to mind – Isaiah 26:3 – You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast because they trust in you.

Which brings to mind 2 Chronicles 20:12b – We don’t know what to do, but our eyes are on you.

At our Bible study we just went through the book of Habakkuk, which was a powerful look at a prophet conversing with God about the evil in the world. A great reminder that we can and should take our questions, fears and doubts to God all the while prepared to receive His answer. Like Habakkuk may we too respond – “Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.”

Blessings from the farm!

• Mema Jeanne says:

Jill, it is so good to see your face again. I had hoped that you would comment. I pray that you and your family are well in the Lord Jesus Christ. I have been trying to think of what Scripture I could use for the survivors affected by the California wildfires. There is so much loss going on in our country. I just pray that people know the Lord and His mercy, grace, compassion, and faithfulness as they approach each hour. I think the verses from Habakkuk are ones that I can use. May we all rejoice in the LORD because He is our strength.
      I, too, was glad to hear from Wendy again. Do you take part in First5? She shares often in a devotion and on video .
      Praising God that you commented,
      Mema Jeanne

• Jill, thank you for sharing from Habakkuk. It’s wonderful little book that I think most people have not read. I didn’t read it until one of the Inscribed authors wrote a study on it.

It’s good to be back again and connect with everyone. 🙂

And so fun to see how ya’ll connect as friends too. Sweet note from Mema Jeanne for you.

48. Eileen White says:

Thank you for sharing your heart and your beautiful words with us, Wendy. I personalized some verses this week in the Bible Study portion of the Proverbs 31 Online Bible Study from “She’s Still There”. Here are a few that are so comforting to me:

I will give you peace, Eileen, at all times and in every situation. 2 Thessalonians 3:16
    Call on me, Eileen, when you are in trouble and I will rescue you. Psalm 91:15
    I will keep you safe, Eileen, because no one can snatch you out of my hand. John 10:29

Loved reading all the verses that have been shared!

• Eileen, that is so cool to know you personalized your OBS verses and were able to share them here. As you know, I am all about personalizing verses!! I get so excited when I see comments like yours. 🙂

I too have loved reading these verses. I’m going to make a list of them so that I can have them to go to when I need them.

49. I thought of your post last night at our local Bible study…we were discussing fearing the Lord and I shared this quote by Oswald Chambers – “The remarkable thing about God is that when you fear God, you fear nothing else, whereas if you do not fear God, you fear everything else.”

As we talked, we realized when we are fearing someone or something, we are not fearing God. I’ve thought about this in respect to people pleasing, but never in the sense of fearing evil, the future or the unknown. When my mind drifts or anxiety rises in the future I hope I can shift my fear from the “thing” to the ONE who is in control, our God the consuming fire!

50. Mema Jeanne says:

Wendy, what you have shared is beautiful…so many things in my life have been “not suppose to be…”, yet, the Lord God Almighty has been so faithful to me during those times. I have basically claimed or clung to 3 different verses for comfort, strength, and peace of mind. They are Job 19:25–” I know that my Redeemer lives….”; Hebrews 4:16–“Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence,…” and James 1:2-4—“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, ….”. My life is powerless with His Word!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Mema Jeanne

• Hello beautiful lady!! Such a sweet blessing to see your name here. And I love the note you left Jill. It makes me smile to see friends connecting here.

Thank you for sharing these wonderful, rich truths and promises from the Word.

51. Thank you so much for this Wendy. It was so needed for all of us.
    I read so any beautiful verses here and realize I must have about 1000 favorites by now! 😉
    This favorite passage has helped me lately…here’s a portion..
    “Hear my cry, O God; listen to my prayer…
    lead me to the rock that is higher than I..” Psalm 61:1-3.

52. Amy Flanagan says:

Good Morning Wendy! First off, I have to tell you that you are my most favorite Bible Teacher ever. My walk with the Lord has strengthened through you teachings, (and all the First 5 Teachings!) and I thank you so very much.

Fear and Anxiety has been something I have struggled with for a long time. As it turns out, all my memory verses for this year have centered around that topic. Taking God’s word into my heart has definitely helped me in moving forward, so much so I am taking extended travel to South Africa next month – something I would never ever have considered prior. I know God is faithful and working on my heart!

Many of my fear verses have already been mentioned above. Some of the others that have really helped me are as follows:

Psalm 34:4 – I sought the Lord and He answered me. He delivered me from my fears.
    John 1:5 – The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness does not overcome it.
    2 Samuel 22:29 – You Lord, are my Lamp. The Lord turns my darkness into Light.
    Psalm 119:114 – You are my place of quiet retreat. I wait for your word to renew me. (MSG)
    Psalm 94:19 – When my anxious thoughts multiply within me, your consolations delight my soul. (NASB)

When I wake up in the night with anxiety, I lay in bed and repeat these all in my head. That’s the only way I can get back to sleep.

Looking forward to your next project! Thank you for the opportunity to share.

• Amy,what a sweet surprise to find your comment this afternoon. Such an encouragement as I continue to research and write for First 5 and finish up the edits for my new study coming out in December. God knows just what we need when we need it, and He sent you to me. 🙂

I too, sweet friend, have struggled with anxiety. And His Word above all else has helped heal my anxious heart. And when I feel it rearing it’s ugly head, I speak His truth over those emotions and physical symptoms and they will subside.

Thank you for sharing a bit of your story and your verses today.