April 12, 2018

Thank You! And, What God Has to Say about His Word

First, may I just say ya’ll are THE BEST! Thank you for taking the time to share your questions on prayer. And, even more, thank you for your honesty and vulnerability. I have created a notebook compiling your questions and can’t wait to begin the adventure of answering them one by one in preparation for writing this book. Ya’ll I gathered nearly 70 questions!! Who knew? I’m so thankful ya’ll love prayer as much as I do!!

Many of your questions talked about praying God’s Word. So today, I thought I would share precious truths and promises about God’s Word. God has much to say in the Bible about the purpose and value of His living and active Word. He gives us powerful truths. Life-changing promises. All to incorporate into our prayers!

IN THE BEGINNING WAS THE WORD, AND THE WORD WAS WITH GOD, AND THE WORD WAS GOD.  HE WAS WITH GOD IN THE BEGINNING. THROUGH HIM ALL THINGS WERE MADE; WITHOUT HIM NOTHING WAS MADE THAT HAS BEEN MADE. JOHN 1:1-3

Man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the Lord. Deuteronomy 8:3

Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds; tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Teach them to your children, talking about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 6:6-9; 11:18-19

How can a young man keep his way pure? By living according to Your Word. Psalm 119:9

Your Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

As for God, His way is perfect; the Word of the Lord is flawless. 2 Sam. 22:31; Proverbs 30:5

My Word that goes out from My mouth: it will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it out. Isaiah 55:11

Let the Word of Christ dwell in you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom, and as you sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs with gratitude in your hearts to God. Colossians 3:16

Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the Word of Truth. 2 Timothy 2:15

For the Word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. Hebrews 4:12

Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.  James 1:22

And we have the word of the prophets made more certain, and you will do well to pay attention to it, as to a light shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts. 2 Peter 1:19

When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight. Jeremiah 15:16

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will never pass away. Matthew 24:35

If you remain in Me and My words remain in you, ask whatever you wish and it will be given you. John 15:7

Put on the full armor of God … Take the … Sword of the Spirit, which is the Word of God … And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. Eph. 6:11; 17-18

I would love to hear YOUR favorite verses about God’s Word. Please share them in the comments.

Comments

1. My favorite verses are Deuteronomy 6:5 Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. And Proverbs 31:25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.

• Oh, this first one is one of the strongest in the Bible. When we love God this way, it transformed our lives and our relationships!! Thank you for sharing.

Love,

2. Carol Taylor says:

The God of our Lord Jesus Christ The Father of glory may give to you the spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him….Eph. 1:17

3. Carol Taylor says:

eph.1:17

4. Psalm 119:130
    The entrance and unfolding of Your words give light;their unfolding gives understanding (discernment and comprehension) to the simple.

• Yes! And, I love the way the psalmist uses the word “unfolding.” It’s a process … a journey. God reveals Himself through His Word over our lives. Along the way He gives us wisdom, knowledge, understanding and TRUTH!

Thank you for stopping by to share your verse.

5. Patricia says:

Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
    Isaiah 41:10 NIV

My encouraging verse.

6. Mary Baker says:

Isaiah 40:8 New International Version (NIV)
    8 The grass withers and the flowers fall,
    but the word of our God endures forever.”

2 Timothy 2:15 New International Version (NIV)
    15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

Psalm 119:105 New International Version (NIV)
    105 Your word is a lamp for my feet,
    a light on my path.

7. Roberta Nelson says:

1 Peter 1:23. “For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God”.

Psalm 119:105 “Thy word is a lamp unto my feet and light unto my path”.

Thank you Wendy.

• 1 Peter 2:3 has always been dear to my heart because of the visual it gives me. When we pray or speak His Word into a situation, we are planting a living and active seed that GOD will activate and penetrate to do His mighty work!!

Thank you for sharing.

8. Amber Paulsen says:

“The teaching of Your Word gives light, so even the simple can understand”.
    Psalm 119:130 NLT

“Your Word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path”
    Psalm 119:05

9. Thank you for this post Wendy! The verse you listed that spoke to me most in the moment was Ephesians. As I walk through a bit of a battle myself it’s so important to remember the weapon I need to yield.

A few that came to my mind…1 Peter 2:2, “Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation” came to life years ago as I was up in the night with our newborn. My lil man had a strong desire for milk, may I always have the same for the Word.

Titus 2:3-5 has always been a powerful passage for me as God works through older women to pour into me and now calls me to impact the future generation. This work is important for many reasons, but ultimately the why is found in verse 5 – “so that no one will malign the word of God.”

Finally, as one who teaches from the Word, I find great comfort in 1 Thessalonians 2:13. It’s not about what I do or say, God’s Word will do the work! “And we also thank God constantly for this, that when you received the word of God, which you heard from us, you accepted it not as the word of men but as what it really is, the word of God, which is at work in you believers.” Grateful your post here led me back to this powerful Truth!! Thank you friend!

• Oh, 1 Peter 2:2 is soooo good. We are to CRAVE God’s Word. We should HUNGER and THIRST for His Word. Desire it above all else. It should be our heart’s delight. Love how Jeremiah says he “ate” it!!!

Thank you for sharing, Jill.

Love you,

10. Wendy, I love all of these verses…

One of my favorite is that Hebrews 4;12 that God’s word is living and active. Sharper than any doube-edged sword, it penetrates even to the dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

I love that God’s word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path.

Thank you, I cannot wait for your book about prayer!! keeping you in my prayers.

• Lisa, thank you for your kind words and especially your prayers!! And, Hebrews 4:12 is one of my life verses. It is the first verse God used to take me on the journey to be a Bible teacher. It’s in my very first message I ever taught. 🙂

11. Carol Taylor says:

eph1:17The God of our Lord Jesus Christ, The Father of glory may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him. One of my favorites.

12. Eph.1:17

13. Psalm 85: 11-12″ For the Lord our God is our sun and our shield. He gives us grace and glory. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right. O Lord of Heaven’s Armies, what joy for those who trust in You.” Psalm 30:5 ” For His anger only lasts a moment, but His favor lasts a life time! Weeping may last through the night,but joy comes with the morning.” Lamentations 3: 22,23 “The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin a fresh each morning.” Nehemiah 8: 10 b “for the joy of the Lord is your strength” Thanks for the verses that you wrote. Joy is one of my favorite words.

14. From The Jerusalem Bible:
    Hebrews 11:1. Only faith can guarantee the blessings that we hope for, or prove the existence of the realities that at present remain unseen.
    Hebrews 10:23. Let us keep firm in the hope we profess, because the One who made the promise is faithful.
    Psalms 107:13&14. Then they called to Yahweh……and He rescued them…..releasing them from gloom and darkness, SHATTERING THEIR CHAINS. (I love this one added to the others because we are believing for the chains of drug addiction and mental health issues as a result to be broken off of our daughter.)

• Love that you shared from the Jerusalem Bible!! Oh, friend, I stand with you now boldly before the throne asking God to break every chain of addiction … to shatter the strongholds holding her captive into a million pieces and free your sweet girl to live the life God created her to live!!

15. “The Lord will fight for you; you have only to be still.” (Exodus 14:14)

All my battles are not mine to fight. That’s why I don’t win them all. Some battles simply belong to God.

16. Michelle Reed says:

Wendy you are such a blessing. Every time I see an email from you I get so excited because I know the Lord has a special word to share thru your thoughts that you pen. I have two favorites, but I laughed because God’s word just ignites me… so I have to say I have many but the first is one he spoke to me about five years ago when I surrendered. See I always had a passion to help, and in the midst of my grief I knew I had to surrender to the Lord and this is what spoke out to me very loud and clear. Luke 4:18 New King James Version (NKJV) “The Spirit of the Lord is upon Me,
    Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed. Once we have been chosen to receive God’s Grace and Mercy he doesn’t want us to hold it but to share it. I have always said God has given us a seed to sow and HE will water in HIS perfect timing. Actually my two second favorites are… Psalm 117 Praise the Lord, all you nations; extol him, all you peoples. For great is his love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord.; and Revelation 1:8 “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”

17. Bess McClung says:

John 15:3 (NIV)
    You are already clean because of the Word I have spoken to you.

John 8:6-8(NIV)
    If anyone of you is without sin, let him be the first to
    throw a stone at her.

Such a great reminder of our salvation if we claim Jesus Christ as our Lord & Saviour. That said, we live in an imperfect world. I have grown so much as I am learning to strive to not pass judgment on anyone.

18. Donna Slazinski says:

Isaiah 41:10 NIV

I know this was mentioned above, but it is my all time favorite. Fear is so real to me right now. The fear of the unknown. The fear of where my life is headed. I have to consistently remind myself of God’s promises.

Thank you Wendy!

19. Linda Sowell says:

About 30 years ago, our pastor challenged us to ask the Lord to give each of us a life verse. After praying about it, the Lord gave me this verse. John 15:16 (ESV)
    16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit and that your fruit should abide, so that whatever you ask the Father in my name, he may give it to you.

20. Lamentations 3:55-57
    I called on your name, Lord, from the depths of the pit. You heard my plea:”Do not close your ears to my cry for relief.” You came near when I called you, and you said, “Do not fear.”

Psalm 116:1-2
    I love the Lord, for he heard my voice; he heard my cry for mercy. Because he turned his ear to me, I will call on him as long as I live.

I have been here and He has answered me and took my fear away. He is a very forgiving God. I am still learning to pray. I don’t do it nearly enough!

21. I am late to this party! Wendy, thank you for this life-giving post. You bless us more than you know. The verse that came to mind is the one Deborah shared: Psalm 119:30. And I love what you said about unfolding. When I looked at the original word, “opening, unfolding, entrance, doorway”… I realized that’s exactly what God’s word is for me. I am the “simple” who gets to walk through the doorway to understand truth beyond my own capabilities… a life-long unfolding process. What a gift! And I love that the only credential is being simple or foolish. I have that qualification!

I love you friend and I thank God for wonderful you… xo