May 25, 2018

Psalm 121 – A Promise from God’s Word

Adventurous I’m not. But, God gave me a daughter who loves travel and adventure. I’ll never forget the day Lauren called to tell me she and her friends wanted to plan a multi-country tour through Asia, staying in hostels and other places this mama would not set foot.

How I wanted to join in on her joy and excitement, but I couldn’t. My mind immediately traveled to terrorist attacks. Scenes from the movie, Taken. Food poisoning. Plane crashes. Any of you mamas been there?

And, to add fuel to my fire, a week before her departure date, pain Lauren had been experiencing elevated to the point it necessitated a doctor visit. Her doctor sent her to a surgeon who told her she needed to have her gall bladder removed as soon as possible. Because of the months of planning invested in this trip, he gave her permission to travel and scheduled her surgery two days after her return. They prescribed medicine that would give her two days to fly back in the event of a gall bladder emergency. Not words an already fearful and nervous mama wanted to hear.

Fear consumed my heart. I turned to the only One I knew would bring me peace. God led me to His Word.

THIS word.

Psalm 121

I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
    where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
    the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip—
    he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
    will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord watches over you—
    the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
    nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all harm—
   he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
   both now and forevermore.

God’s promise to me …

God will watch over Lauren’s coming and going.

Through this psalm, God reminded me of His character. He never changes. He is the same yesterday, today and forever.

Just as God did for Israel, He will do for Lauren. For centuries, God watched over the coming and going of His chosen people. He did the very same for Jesus and His disciples. I knew He was asking me to trust Him to do the same for my girl. Every plane flight. Every border crossing. Every train. Every hostel. Every meal. Every interaction. He would be there with her. I could trust Him.

Each day, I rehearsed His promises. I prayed them over Lauren and her friends.

Instead of crying out in fear, I called upon Him in faith.

I truly felt anxious for nothing because I prayed about everything.

I believed that HE was watching over her coming and going because He is El Roi, the God Who Sees.

He had His eye upon her. He had His eye on me.

He was near.

He was in control.

She was safe.

I pray this message speaks to your heart today. Maybe you’re sending a child off to college or a far away trip. Maybe you’re stepping into a new place in life. Maybe you or someone you love has received a diagnosis that terrifies you. Maybe you’re in a storm where the waves are crashing over you, overwhelming you. Maybe fear holds you captive.

Sweet friend, turn to your Abba Father. Turn to Psalm 121. Speak it. Pray it. Believe it. Rest in it.

Leave a comment today and share a promise that YOU cling to in times like this. Let’s fill this comment section with Scriptures that will bless and encourage us in these difficult, fearful, lonely, scary places.

Thanking God for each one of you today. May you know His love, presence and provision is the most sweet and intimate ways.

P.S. The winner of our last giveaway was Katria! Please check your email for more info.

SaveSave

SaveSave

Comments

1. Good morning Sisters-In-Christ. One of my “go to” scriptures is Psalm 46:1, God is “Robin’s” refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Another is Psalm 94:19, In the multitude of “Robin’s” anxieties, Your comforts delight my soul.

Thank you Wendy for always having an on-time word!

Thanking God for my Sweet Jesus!!

Blessings!

• Oh, Robin, I absolutely love how you personalized this verse!! Thank you for taking the time to share. And thank you for your kind words.

2. Kathie Sawyer says:

Thank you Wendy this is one of my favorites. This Psalm was my go to when my daughter was going through breast cancer. I lift my eyes to the mountains so many times.

• I’m so thankful this verse took you back to a time when God was faithful to minister to you through His Word. I love stories like yours. There truly is something about looking to the mountains that reminds us of the strength and magnificence of our God.

3. Beautiful reminder, thank you! I love Psalm 121 and the peace of the Lord that comes when reading it. I also cling to Psalm 27:14, “Wait for the Lord, be strong and let your heart take courage; Yes, wait for the Lord.”

• Psalm 27:14. Not a verse I’m as familiar with on waiting for God. Thank you for sharing. One part of the psalm that grabbed me was that in the wait, God wants us to be strong and take courage. Reminds me of when God told Joshua to be strong and courageous because God knew what lie ahead for him as they moved forward conquering the Promised Land.

4. Jem Renee says:

Thank you Wendy for your message and your love that comes from your heart. My son is battling bipolar issues and I was unaware of how severe until several months ago. Clinging to God and His Word is what is getting me through. He is 28 so I can’t make his decisions for him, I can’t follow along behind him and tell him to take his meds, I can’t keep him from drinking. But I can give him to God and trust God. Thank you for these words this morning.

• Jem, I have a dear friend whose son struggles with the same diagnosis. Walking alongside her has been so hard. She doesn’t know or lean on the Lord like you do. What a gift you run to Jesus and take shelter in His arms and in His Word when you feel overwhelmed and alone. God is our hope and this means so much when our circumstances do not seem to change. I’m praying God will continue to hold you close and equip and empower you for this assignment He has given you. May you know His love and pleasure as you continue to point your son to Jesus. I pray the Lord opens his heart and mind to be intimately receptive to Jesus.

5. Karen Warden says:

Thank you Wendy, it’s just what I needed. I’m suffering through some stuff right now and I’ve been wondering where God is and why He let’s it go on so long. I feel abandoned. I will pray this psalm in faith that I will see His moghty hand at work. Thank you for your faithfulness and your ministry.

• Oh, Karen, I feel so blessed the Lord used today’s message as a vessel to speak into your heart today so that you know He sees you and He hears you. He is El Roi, the God who sees. His eye is upon you!! I pray that as you pray His Word in faith it will come alive and do a great work in your life. He is ABLE.

6. Jennifer O'Brien says:

Many years ago, I needed to have surgery and the leader of a Bible study I was attending at the time shared Isaiah 41:10 with me. It was the very first Bible vèrse I ever memorized and it brought me much comfort in the days prior to my surgery. It is still my go-to verse in times when I am afraid and need to turn back to God and put my trust in Him.

• Yes! Isaiah 41:10 is one of my favorites. “So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God.I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Fear can gain such a stronghold and speaking truth to fear helps FAITH overcome our fears. Thank you for sharing.

7. God gave me Psalms 121 while in Bible college. I was wrestling with who God told me that He was in His Word verses the God I thought He was through all the pain in my life. His Word was saying one thing and my pain was saying a complete opposite. Although my choice to begin following Him began my freshman year of college, this Psalm kept me stepping out in faith – believing His Word and searching for Him in my pain. It’s a healing process honestly continuing even today. Love how you are using this Psalm to pray out in faith. Yes! Oh how I need this daily in my life, especially in this new season I am in. Love this Wendy and God has used this to really confirm a few next steps I need to take. Thank you!

• Bethany!!! Your words brings such joy to my heart. It truly is answered prayer because I pray as I write each post the the Lord would draw the women who need to hear from HIM!!! I’m thankful you found God’s voice and His confirmation in the message he laid on my heart.

I’m also so thankful I’ve gotten to connect with you through Proverbs 31. I love to hear you teach and will miss you this summer. 🙂

8. Great words here Wendy! I’m going to share a story about my 11 year old daughter. Last night Jaylyn had her first Little League game. She was pitching in the bottom of the last inning with her team up 9-5, but she walked the first 3 batters. So with bases loaded, her coach told her to shake it off. She went on to get a few outs, gave up a run and a teammate caught a fly, so they won.

Afterwards she told me, when coach said that, I prayed and said, “The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not want.Then I just did better.”

She could have pitched a perfect game and it still wouldn’t have met what this simple conversation did. So thankful she’s hiding His Word in her heart and grateful for the reminder to call out at all times. You teaching me has helped me teach her. Thanks friend!!

• Jill, this story is such a powerful witness to the way you live your life and your choice to pour God’s Word and prayers into your children. She is mirroring what she sees IN you and hears FROM you. Thank you so much for sharing!!

9. Cortenay Rowe says:

I truly love this passage. I pray it daily. I pray the Lords Prayer every day. As I pray through it, I break it down as I go. When I start out, “Our Father, which art in Heaven. Hallowed be Thy name.” This is where I call out the Ames of God and what they mean. Jehovah Shammah means God is always there. This is when I pray this passage. God is ALWAYS with us. This passage says He is the shade (or shadow) on our right hand. He is always so close, like our shadow. Our shadow goes with us wherever we go. So does our great, big God. What a comfort it is to pray His Word. Thank you sweet Wendy for this message today. I miss your writing in the First 5, but I’m glad I’m connected to your blog. I’m going to share this with a friend who is struggling with her sick husband. I’ve been witnessing to her. She’s been reading her Bible. I pray that they will turn their hearts to God through this whole ordeal. They are the Barnett’s. Will you pray for them with me. For his natural health & their spiritual health. Thank you & God Bless you

• Cortenay, it’s wonderful to hear how you pray and what you pray. Thank you so much for sharing!!! The fact that you combine two passages together as a prayer and are so intentional about the very placement of one within the other is a great teaching tool on how to pray God’s Word.

Thank you also for your kind words about missing me on First 5. I miss it but love my new position as the biblical content coordinator for P31 Online Bible Studies. I still write biblical content but it’s all over the Bible writing based on the study or book we are doing. Have you ever done the Online studies? Our next one starting in June is one I am SO excited about!!! Seamless by Angie Smith. It is a Bible study on the entire Bible, tying it together from Genesis to Revelation in 6 weeks.

And I’m praying now for this sweet family. Praying for a hunger and thirst for what only God can fill and that as you share Jesus and His Word, they feel that empty place being filled and desire more and more. I also pray for healing physically as well.

Love,

• Cortenay Rowe says:

Thanks for your response. I’ve never done an online Bible Study. How does it work? The whole bible in 6 weeks!! I love it!

• It’s a wonderful way to study God’s Word when life is busy; you can’t get to Bible study due to health or distance or you just want a fresh way to meet God in His Word and make new friends. You sign up at Proverbs 31. I’ll put the link below. Each week, you receive blog posts during the week with different videos and/or written teachings/encouragement. You can do it on your own time because the posts stay up for the entire study. Each week is one chapter of the book for Seamless. People leave their comments on the blog and you interact with each other there. There is also a Facebook community page, which is my favorite, led by two women and the community interacts there through questions, prayers and comments each week. We also do Facebook Live teachings each week and Instagram live things as well. We give you a weekly schedule. The only cost is the cost of our book. This is our summer one so we won’t have small groups. But, the rest of the year you are assigned to a small group if you register timely (they fill up so fast). I love it. I’m the biblical content coordinator and cannot tell you how wonderful this team is that runs it and the community. Below is the link to learn more.

Let me know if you decide to join us or if you have more questions.

• Ann E Leatherman says:

Wendy, thank you so much for telling about the next Proverbs31 Bible study and providing this link. I “met” you because of your Bible study and am so thankful for that. I just signed up and ordered the book. Also want to say that I enjoyed reading all of your comments today. Such a wonderful way to learn more. Thank you.

• Yay, Ann!! So excited you will be joining us.

10. I love your stories, God is always so close to you, eve
    in the fearful times. I am reminded in Zachariah 4:6
    that nothing I do compares to the power of God and
    his spirit that lives in me through the Holy Spirit
    “Not by might, not by power but by my spirit says the
    Lord of hosts.” You are a great prayer warrior. I lost my
    Prayer partner, but I know God is with me,holding
    me up helping me to walk forward despite the carnage
    around me. He is my power and source of strength.
    Thank you, God bless u.

• Becky, so good to see your comment. Thank you for sharing this powerful verse reminding us we are not alone and that our strength is in HIM alone. I pray you experience His Ephesians 3:20 power as you seek Him in prayer. I also pray God brings you another prayer partner!!

11. Darlene says:

Good morning. Love this Psalm. He also gave me Psalm 3:3 But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head” in a very difficult time. He is faithful and always with us. Thank you so much for your encouragement.

• Darlene, I’ve always been so touched by the verses that reminds us God is the lifter of our head. I picture His strong hand gently lifting my eyes toward His. Thank you for taking the time to stop by and share. Such a gift to me. My son had a hard day yesterday, and God was the lifter of both our heads and things got so much better when we fixed our eyes upon Him.

12. Melanie says:

Psalm 62:5-7 has held me through depression and anxiety: Find rest, O my soul, in God alone; my hope comes from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken. My salvation and my honor depend on God; he is my mighty rock, my refuge.
    A reminder that only in God will I be at rest and be saved, and that in Him I am secure.

• What a beautiful verse!! Thank you for sharing. LOVE LOVE these names of God. He is our Rock and our Salvation. Our Fortress and Refuge. In Him we can rest and find safety … a time of refreshing so we can return to life strengthened and renewed.

Blessings to you,

13. Ann E Leatherman says:

Good afternoon. Thank you Wendy for your messages. I always learn something new when I read them. My go to verse is Psalm 23:1 – The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. I knew my retirement funds would not last too long and as I see them dwindle I rely on this verse. Years ago I would have panicked at this point, but I am not doing that. God has provided for me for 76 years and He will not stop. Thank you to all who have commented, also, I learn from each of you and am encouraged, too. I pray you all have a blessed holiday weekend. (I seldom comment on anything, but felt that I needed to today and feel “safe” doing so.)

• Ann, I’m so thankful you took the time to comment. Your kind words blessed me. It’s always a sweet moment when I hear the words God lays on my heart minister to and teach someone else. It’s why I do what I do. But, I also love that you gave us your verse and shared a bit of your story. God is our Jehovah Jireh … our Provider. Testimonies like yours that share His faithfulness even in the hard times are so powerful!! I praise Him for His faithfulness to you and ask Him to continue to amaze you with His love and faithfulness as he provides for you in sweet and personal ways that you KNOW it is by His hand and from His heart of love.

14. 2 Samuel 22:33 is my go to verse when I am feeling anxious. “The Lord is my strength and my power. He makes my pathway perfect.”

• Wonderful verse, Renee. Thank you so much for sharing. And I always enjoy verses that are not from Psalms, Proverbs, and Paul’s letters. Verses and passages from Old Testament stories and people mean so much. They record God’s intervening and providing for His people in very real ways to remind us He will do the same for us because He is the same yesterday, today and always.

15. Susan G. says:

I love this Psalm! It’s been one of my favorites since I was a teen…I’m now a grandma! 😉
    Another favorite Psalm is almost identical to Renee’s above: “It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect.” Psalm 18:32
    And my ultimate fave: “…in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us.” Romans 8:37
    Thanks Wendy for always pointing us to God and His Word!

• First, you are so welcome. It’s my joy and calling to teach His Word. And my friends here on the blog, friends like you, have that same passion. I LOVE IT!! Thank you for sharing how this psalm has been special to you for decades. That is how His Word is. It ministers to us to our old age. It’s sweet to be reminded of that, especially in the dry times when He feels far away. I know your words encouraged someone today.

16. Carmen A. Flores says:

Wendy, I can’t tell you how many times I have kept you how many times are stayed on those hills! Thank you so much for that lovely story and reminding us just how powerful and comforting His Word truly is..another favorite is Isaiah 26:3 New Living Translation (NLT)

3 You will keep in perfect peace
    all who trust in you,
    all whose thoughts are fixed on you!

• Oh, Carmen, Isaiah 26:3 is one of my most treasured verses. It brought me through a battle with anxiety. I clung to it every day. Prayed it. Claimed it. Stood on it. God was so faithful. Thank you for sharing.

17. Sharon Serrano says:

Psalm 91 was the psalm God gave me when I came out of a meeting at school for one of my kiddos about 7 years ago.

Academics has never been my strength but when you see your child struggle in those same areas it brings you to a place of worry.

I remembered that morning so vividly. They told me all the different test they were going to do to try and figure out why he was performing at 3rd grade level being in the 6th grade.

God spoke psalm 91 to me while sitting in the car crying. He reassured me that He would always have Him under the shadow of His wings. Today we face a similar struggle with the same son and this is the Psalm that God reminds me of when it comes to his life.

• Sharon, thank you for sharing your story. God’s Word is our source of comfort in those trying times … times we don’t understand. We have to TRUST Him at His Word. We know He is faithful. Psalm 91 is filled with so many promises about God and His character. Thank you, sweet friend, for taking the time to share a bit of your heart today.

18. My dear friend… thank you for another life-giving post! Holy cow… I’m so glad God gave you this after hearing the doctor’s “wisdom” including a two-day prescription to allow for an emergency surgery… I get palpitations just reading that!
    One thing that’s always grabbed my heart with Psalm 121 is lifting my eyes to the mountains. I have taken that literally. Getting out. Gazing up to the mountains. Seeing the majesty. The enormity. Feeling small. Those hills are just one of His creations.
    The enemy slithers in the dirt. And that’s where he wants my thoughts. But God calls me to look up. To leave dirt thinking behind. It sure changes my perspective, gives me peace and bolsters my faith!
    I love you Wendy! xoxo

• Noelle, you have such a way with words. Thank you for sharing your story about perspective and the enemy and what God calls us to do when he strikes. You are so blessed living where you do in California. You can look to the mountains or look into the pounding waves at the beach!! Both such incredible reminders of the power and presence of our God.

Love you so much, my friend.

me

19. Your thoughts on using the Word of God to keep you in perfect peace reminded me of Philippians 4:6-.
    “Have no anxiety about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving,let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.” I find anytime I am in doubt or fear, praying to the Lord brings a peace that brings me victory over these tyrants that taunt me. Thanks for your reminder of the power of God’s Word.

• Kathy, Philippians 4:6-9 is a staple around our house. That passage is filled with so much … a command, a promise, a formula … all to keep us grounded in God’s peace. Thank you so much for sharing. His Word is living and active and so very powerful!!

20. Marilyn in East Texas says:

Hi Wendy
    I just read your beautiful post. Life has been spinning out of control since my husband fell 2 weeks ago fracturing his right hip.
    We did not get good news this morning at the ortho dr as the screws are mov
    I am exhausted
    I just pray “Jesus help me,heal Alan”
    Thank you for lifting me up with God’s Word and promises